Minnesota 2016

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Birdswacker, Sep 14, 2016.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been seeing a lot of guys on Facebook talking about how terrible it is so far this year. Hopefully that isn't the case for you.

2. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard a lot of bad stuff too but we'll still give it a shot. It's an awesome woods to hunt in,and a fun hunt, I just wish it was managed properly...

3. Imtodd4791

Imtodd4791 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone hunting public land in the north metro area? Carlos Avery? Any of the local WMAs? What are folks seeing? I've got a couple trail cams with lots of buck movement with the big guys still moving at night but getting closer to shooting times. Little bucks following does during shooting light

4. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live on the west side of Carkos Avery. In the past I'd have to be careful driving during this time of year but the last 3-5 years haven't seen much at all. I think it's being over hunt like Ripely. On bow hunting opener there's toyotas all over so the pressure is very high for the first couple weeks then it dies down til gun opener and starts again. I muzzle loader hunted there a couple times but never seen squat

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I work out of Carlos Avery at the firebase. Have not been out there this fall but there has been a downward trend in numbers of people hunting out there. I think closing the gates lowers traffic.

6. PolarBoy

PolarBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted Carlos Avery NUMEROUS times; I have family that lives a stone throw away from it. When I first started bow hunting, it was almost exclusively where I focused my efforts. But I can tell you that it is over hunted and lots of people use it for bird/duck hunting, training dogs, fishing etc. I used to get good deer on trail cameras too, but it seems the later it got into the season, the more human activity it would draw in, especially when people started coming in to scope out stand spots for rifle season (shotgun slugs in that area). I think it gets really stirred-up after a while. BUT i did get my opportunities. There's a lot of wetland in the southern portion of it, and I found my success getting to finger points and hard-to-reach spots via boat or strapping on some waders to get to the 'honey holes'. I always have respect for public land hunters because the ones that are successful often prove to be the smartest and hardest hunters around. Hope that helped, good luck!

7. Imtodd4791

Imtodd4791 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Like you, I do the same (fingers, out of the way spots) and have had a few opportunities as well over the years. Just wondering if I'm making the same observations around the area as some others. What would be the main source of food outside of any agricultural areas around? I don't care to hunt near them for obvious reasons and the acorns are crap this year.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They do plant plots in Carlos on the southern end, corn usually. They also have some other plots off off Lexington head east towards the SNA the fields are on the right before the cemetery.

9. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Not much moving this morning. Pheasants sure were though.

10. Birdswacker

Dislikes Received:
    Funny thing I respond with my observations about Carlos Avery and quests what? I went into work at 8:30 this morning I turn left down the main drag and a little 6 runs across the road. Then on my way home tonight after hunting I had to stop for a big 8 or I would've hit him. In the last 4-5 days I've seen probably 6-8 dead deer and the same amount ruining across the road

11. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Two nice bucks were shot within 5 miles of me last night and the night before. One by my female co worker and the other by my buddies wife. Pretty cool seeing that. They're definitely showing us guys up though!

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is that really the attitude? Women showing men up? I had no idea it was a contest. That huntress attitude would lead to you go girl, drag it, gut it and hang it yourself.:eek2:

13. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Weather looks like it should good this weekend, 13 degree temp drop between today and tomorrow morning.

14. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    What.

15. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    You be in Ripley?

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I have know some women who shoot a deer and talk crap, never mind they showed up to a stand that somebody else scouted and put up. So much more than shooting a deer.

17. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I would venture to say the buddies wife is definitely that type but my co worker puts just as much time and effort in during the season and in the offseason as I do.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tent is going up tonight breaking out the heater and ozone machine, fence is coming off the plot tomorrow morning, washing the camo and layers on Sunday. Come monday afternoon it's on.

19. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. I will definitely be out tomorrow morning. 75 today and 53 tomorrow here.

20. Birdswacker

Dislikes Received:
    Come on all the hating on women then all of a sudden the "tent is going up tonight"
    Is this really a broke back mountain camp outside?