***November Reign - Team 17***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by 1jody256, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck tomorrow, looks like its going to be a great day to be in the stand. I will be in the stand tomorrow also sitting a observation stand waiting for you know who to show up! I found a scrape that he has been hitting, so I'm going to sit about 150 yards out and watch it in the evening.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Off to Wawa for a hot coffee and into the stand this morning. Good luck to anybody else going out today.

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck today, I bet today will be the day!

4. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am taking 2-3 days off work the second week of November to head down to my big lease and hopefully put down a buck. I have until Jan 31st for a doe so I'm pretty confident in that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Early, get ya some!

6. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Going in I had all kinds of deer blowing at me in the darkness this morning. From my stand all day, one lone doe! haha I thought I'd at least see some cruising bucks, but it was a ghost town.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Early in, I really thought today was going to be your day! Good luck tomorrow, you hunting same spot or moving somewhere else?

8. early in

Dislikes Received:
    It's a wash-out today. Since things have been slow, so I'm not too bummed out. This season reminds me so much of last season though, with the low deer sightings.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  9. WIarrowslinger

WIarrowslinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be getting out Friday and the weekend. Excited to get out but really haven't been hearing of much deer activity. Maybe this will be the weekend to kick it off!

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Literally a washout got me yesterday also. Poured so much I didn't bother to hit the road to deer camp until almost 9p. Got into camp at 2:30a. Set up the camper and hit the woods this AM on zero sleep. Should be perfect morning but other than one cruising by at 0dark30 been dead. Today is overcast with a slight S wind they should be on their feet line crazy. Last season from this spot I never went a single sit w/oUT seeing at least one deer in daylight. This season I've only seen 3 deer in about 8 sits. Going to cruise the CRP line this afternoon looking for sign...

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck this weekend guys! Good to see alot of you getting out. It's that time when every second in the stand counts and never know what's going to happen, Can't wait!

I might get a quick hunt tonight behind the house, but will be out all day on Saturday. It's the last day of early muzzle loader and will be glad when it's done and get back to being alone in the woods!

12. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man! Had quite the hunt this evening. Was sitting in a transition area where I had pics of that big 9 this summer, and around 430 I heard running and what I thought was a grunt. About 5 minutes later I heard a definite grunt and catch a glimpse of a big deer and I thought I could see a rack. I glassed and glasses for 10 minutes and finally I catch movement and what look like big antlers. Another step... yep! Real big! I grunt at him twice, he turns and takes two steps toward me. He pins his ears back and side steps, but angling away from me. I grunt once more and he made a (pretty poor) attempt at a snort-wheeze... mostly just a wheeze. Anyway he takes two steps back toward me... then puts his head down and starts nibbling on leaves and acorns and slowly feeds away.
    Not entirely sure what he is, just big!
    Heard a doe bleating (or maybe the neighbor, because later on I heard a doe snort there as well) and a few other does and one small buck come by the rest of the night. Thinking the rut is right on the verge of popping.
    Also had a small bobcat come by and cross the crick which was pretty great, though I couldn't snap a pic of him.

Hoping to check cameras this weekend. Had one nice buck on camera last week that I'll upload when I get the chance.

Leave for South Dakota next Thursday, so I'm hoping to get something done this weekend, otherwise I've only got one weekend left before gun season rolls around.

13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I've had zero activity all weekend. My uncle got a nice basket 8 last night about 300 yards from me and my cousin passed 3 little ones and kicked up a 120-ish 10 on the way out of the woods this afternoon. I relocated to the thick stuff and then had the luck to have a guy and his daughter decide to tromp 40 yards past me both ways to hang a stand for gun season.

Going to stick it out here this evening but frustrated for sure. 65 degrees today and going to be 70 Tuesday. Supposed to rain tonight/tomorrow AM so I may take the AM to scout another new area.

14. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not hunting this weekend in this heat. I figured it was the last weekend for me to relax and get some stuff done around the house before winter. Sounds like activity in the woods is very slow, so I think I made the right choice.
    Doing a 3 day weekend next week, then on the 10th I'm off for 10 days. Starting to feel real good about my timing this year and I really can't wait.
    Good luck team! :tu:

15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got out this morning and saw a doe and fawn pass by around 8:30. At 10:00 I had a 4 pt come out and went to a scrape by my stand and work it over. Then he went to the next scrape, Just so happen that I pissed in it before getting in the stand. Well that didn't go good, he freaked out and ran back where he came from. Before leaving I checked camera and got a couple new bucks, but nothing special. I also set a rut stand that I think will be the stand that I will kill the big boy out of this year. Its a awesome setup, multiple trails real close together running down a thick cover on a creek. Lots of bedding up and down the creek. I have off for a week from November 5 - 12 to hunt this buck.

Any one else taking vacation for the rut this year?

16. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I blanked last night. Not sure if I can get out tonight, but hope too.

Good luck guys.

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Uhh, yeah I'm in the middle of 10 days straight, then 3 days back to work then 4 more days in the stand.
    Right after my last post I missed a basket 8 at 25 yards. Smoked a tree he was standing behind- 3" to the right of where I was aiming. I had about a 10" window to poke it through and I was dead on him. I snuck down, pulled my arrow (gotta say the NAP Spitfire DoubleCross took it like a champ- only damage was a barely bent the main blade; would be totally serviceable if I was less anal) and made it back to camp with enough light to talk some practice shots...consistently 3" right at 25 yards. WTF??? Had that tree not been there it still would have killed him deader than dead (was aiming directly behind shoulder; prefect broadside angle) but that's ridiculous. No idea how the sights got shifted so bad.

I've been in the stand every morning/afternoon since, only seen a doe tonight at 40 for 20-30 mins with no shot. Had a nice 110ish 8 on my camera this AM prior to me arriving at the stand.

Back at it tomorrow AM...

18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it, it will happen for you!

19. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I took off Friday of this week and will be sitting dark to dark. Then back to work for the weekend...

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alright good luck on friday! I think Saturday will be my first all day sit. Supposed to have a 20 degree temp drop from Friday to Saturday morning, I love cold weather!