I learned a lot yesterday.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Longdraw, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thrilled to be in the treestand yesterday. It was warm & windy, but gorgeous.
    After a couple hours of sitting the sun was getting low and I knew if there were deer nearby that I would start seeing them.
    Sure enough I see ears twitching and a big deer coming my way. A nice big doe was walking towards my shooting lane and I was ready. She was walking the open area between the timber I'm in and the standing corn. When she stepped into my shooting lane I gave her a "Meh" and she stopped perfectly...except she turned her head to look behind her and was now blocking her vitals. I'm at full draw, heart BEATING through my chest, so I control my breath and take a look to make sure a buck isn't following. She turns her head and I set my 40 yard pin on her vitals. I squeeze and the arrow sails right at her. My brain doesn't recall any impact, I didn't see if or where the arrow hit. The doe runs directly north and disappears. I sit and catch my breath for 10 mins or so. Fading light and nothing else moving so I get down and start looking for blood and arrow. After looking and crawling near the spot where she stood and ran, I found absolutely nothing. So disappointed.
    What I learned: 40 yards is too far for me to confidently shoot. Lighted nocks will help with the impact and location of my arrow. I have to go find my thermocell right now because the bugs were thick and I missed it greatly.
    Oh well, I believe I'm a better, more knowledgeable bowhunter who got a miss out of the way and is ready to slay the next deer in range.
    Good hunts to all.
    Longdraw
    ###---->

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did you find your arrow? If I don't find arrow after the shot, I assume it is still in the deer.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you find the arrow? If you didn't find the arrow and you aren't sure if you hit the deer, can you really be certain you missed?

4. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is one possible location of my arrow but I don't know. I crawled on all fours a few rows into the corn but never found any sign of my arrow.

5. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just don't know. The arrow could be in the deer and there may be only internal bleeding.
    I wish I knew.

6. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you have some looking to do...

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For one, you aren't certain the arrow isn't in the deer. Two, you said it was in a crop field. I hate the thought of an arrow potentially lost in a farmers field. Maybe it is a silly concern of mine but I always envision my BH in a farmers tire

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You need to find that arrow or the deer it is stuck in.

If you find the arrow, a lot will be told; miss or hit and to what degree.

If you don't find the arrow but find blood you gotta get after the trail...

9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

All of these. We owe it to the animal we pursue to be positive one way or the other once we release an arrow.

10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is there a possibility that your arrow went into thick brush behind the deer? Because if not, and you did not find the arrow, it is in the deer. If it is legal, find a tracking dog if you can. At the very least, get back out in that field and look for blood again. How did the deer react after after the rest the shot? Did it take off quickly or hunch up and walk off slowly? Was its tail up or down? You need to look more.

11. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really have nothing positive to say about this tread, we all loose deer it sucks and it happens but you have to put in your time to try and find it instead of coming online whining about it. I don't know you but I think you should read more about effective shooting ranges for noobies and there is a sticky on the forum for tracking help PLEASE READ IT

12. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with the deer trail. I agree with not leaving a broad head in the field if at all possible. Again good luck.

13. MasterHunter

MasterHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    check your 3rd axis, dunno if you shot from a treestand before but now would be a good time to check. It could be your anchor point changed from the rush you got from your first deer shot. Perfect practice makes perfect, hit the 3d range and dont wing arrows, but shoot as if every shot was at a real deer..

14. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see you are from Illinois, contact the United Blood Trackers. They have guys located all over the state that will come track a deer for you. https://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/

I agree with the rest of the guys, find that arrow and you'll learn even more. Good luck!

15. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the original poster, I'm glad you learned that your effective range and now know that 40 yards is too far for you. I hope that in the future you learn those things in your backyard rather than in the deer woods. I understand that the best lessons are learned through real world experience and I don't feel like you did anything "wrong" just remember that the best way to avoid that sinking feeling in your gut after the hunt is to prepare yourself better prior to it. Keep your head up and get her next time, between now and then, find that arrow or that deer. Good luck to you fellow bow hunter.

Tags: