Is my spot cooked?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by eric.landry.7583, Oct 23, 2016.

1. eric.landry.7583

eric.landry.7583 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I thought in the spirit of passing on what I'm learning to my oldest son if 8, i'd bring the energetic guy out with me to check our trail cams and scout for rubs and scrapes on this blue law Sunday. Now since it's my very busy hunting spot - (traffic is actually increasing as the days pass which I hope continues) we both showered with scent away soap, wore fresh scent away cloths and made sure we had gloves and hates on as the temps were in the low 40's. But at the first cam - there was nothing, a fat zero of activity. The 2nd cam however had three buck sightings. In my excitement of checking the 2nd cameras card and marking the times the bucks were appearing I didn't notice that my son(doing what most 8 year olds do in the woods of Maine) had decided to relive himself on a tree a grand total of 15 feet from a very fresh scrape. Is my hunting area toast? Am I done. This is my first season ever hunting so this is all new.

Bowtech Carbon Knight
    29DL
    62DW
    Single Pin
    Peep Site

2. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it will be as bad as you think. Some people intentionally pee in a scrape. It is urine after all and might increase a bucks curiosity. I think you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't worry about it at all. A lot on here swear by peeing in scrapes or even out of their tree stand. I've personally never seen a deer spook from human urine.

4. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I try to piss in just about every scrape I find. I have many pics of deer sniffing my personal brand. Load up on water before you head out next time and freshen those scrapes up.

5. eric.landry.7583

eric.landry.7583 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I sincerely appreciate the quick & reassuring seasoned input.

Bowtech Carbon Knight
    29DL
    62DW
    Single Pin
    Peep Site

6. rth548

rth548 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I piss out of my stand sometimes, never seems to bother the deer very much.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are taking the scent control thing way to far to check chips.

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had an interesting sit a couple weekends ago. I had changed the chip in the camera on my kill plot. And sprayed the camera down after handling it. Few hours later a see a little fork come walking out of the bedding area to my south heading right into the kill plot. He gets next to the tree the camera is on and stops dead in his tracks. I can see him turn his head and sniff the camera. He then backs up and circles about 10 yards around the camera tree to get into the plot.

What I don't know, is if he smelled me on the camera, or the spray, but he knew something was out of place.

9. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed two bucks shortly after peeing out of a treestand. One walked right under me. I think you will be fine.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some nitral gloves and clean boots should be enough, but who knows I get away with walking the dogs out every day and no scent precautions.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think, for the most part, Urine is urine. I had an instance where I had to get down to pee. I walked about 50 yards away and peed at the base of a tree. An hour or so later, a couple does walked in and actually walked right to the base of the tree to check it out. They were not spooked or even on edge about it.

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing to worry about at at. I can't believe I just responded to another piss thread. I said I was done with them....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk