Tresspassers!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DickensCPA, Oct 21, 2016.

1. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Picked up a new property from a client last month but really didn't get to scout and pick a tree until tax season was over. Wasn't super familiar with this property and the first 7/8 of the way to my tree is THICKLY wooded. So I pinned it on my GPS and walked in at o'dark thirty.

Sunrise at 6:58 but a cloudy day it was a bit later before I could see well. It gets light and I look 20 yds to my left and there's a ladder stand at my 9:00 fully set up with life line, etc. 10 yds up at my 1:00 there's another with some type of cube attractant and I see a camera. Baiting is illegal in TN, so I climb down and call the land owner.

He's furious and sounds like he'll get to the bottom of it. I look so forward to tax season being over so I can go out and I live for Fridays when wife teaches a class and kids in school and my sit was cut short.

2. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless he has instructed you to control the property, you did the best thing by letting the land owner take care of the issues. Not properly handled a trespassers can turn to a vandal or thief. Good luck at least someone else thinks it is a hot spot as well.

3. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    The land owner is one of those clients who has become a close friend over the years. His first words were that I just inherited two new stands and a trail cam. Told him I wasn't going to do that, then he said he would confiscate them.

I told him it was probably a neighbor and unless he wanted to live in turmoil, to just call, confront and ask them to remove them nicely. OR, if the guy's a weekend hunter - I'm a week day hunter. Remove the bait and let me use his stand when I'm there and I won't have to hang anything myself. I won't be there much, I'm easy to get along with. Maybe I can benefit from the stuff he's put out. We just need to remove it and wait 10 days to hunt.

I specifically told him to not do anything to the guy's stand because all that will do is make someone vengeful and mess with my stuff when I hang my set.

In the grand scheme of things it's not huge but I waited for tax season to be over and it flustered me. LOL!

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would NOT do this! Don't have ANY role in the use or removal of any of this other guy's belongings. Let the property owner handle everything, if he's able. If not, let the local authorities handle the matter. I'm not saying be afraid of this guy, but just be smart about it. There's waaay too many freaks out there these days! Good luck with your new property.

5. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    I probably didn't word that correctly - he would need to remove his own bait. If I know it's there, I can't legally hunt within 250 yds of it.

He'll either remove it himself or a close friend at church is a warden and I'll just have to report him.

I just don't want to get in a p!$$!ng match and my stuff get messed with.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, and you probably don't want to get into a boxing match either. You don't know this guy from Adam, that's why I gave that advice.

7. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure your not allowed to hunt a baited area for 90 days after it was removed. I understand it may change from state to state. Regardless this trespasser needs to be removed one way or the other. If he gets hurt he will most likely sue the pants off the owner. Around here. Trespasser sue all the time. Especially if the property isn't marked with no trespassing signs. The best thing to do is (help the owner) pull his stuff down and put it near parking spot. With a note saying "your lucky I don't call the law, but if I catch you here again that will be my 2nd step.

8. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt some land of an old family friend. A few years back her neighbors nephews asked if they could hunt. She told them no. A few weeks later I found 2 tree stand/ladders on her land. I took them down and put them in her shed. On each tree I left a note in a ziplock: "You do not have permission to hunt this property. Contact land owner to pick up your stand." We waited a year...never heard from them. I have those stand on a different property now. All I want is fair in this world. And I think I was more than fair with those trespassers.

9. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Also he's already proven he's a criminal. Honestly you should consider involving the law if the guy gives you just one negative response to removing his stuff. One warning only with a criminal. Best case scenario it's just some kid/s and they don't know better. You wouldn't allow some stranger to go in your back yard and cook meth. So the same goes with baiting. If the owner doesn't report it it's the same as doing it himself. He could lose his property all together if a DNR wants to go that far. I'm serious with my suggestions. Your client/ friend may not be either if he gets busted for something someone else did because you stopp

10. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    Well we addressed everything today in person and I guess I have egg on my face. The two stands are his neighbors. My client (land owner) and his neighbor both pulled the plats and we met today.

Apparently my friend's land no longer squares but comes to a point toward the back due to an easement and partial purchase of the neighbor from the previous owner because his property wouldn't perk. My friend wasn't even aware.

This guy did his homework and has both stands just a few feet onto his own property. Touche! He won. I can still put up a stand if I want but the only huntable spot would have 3 very close.

I'll just lick my wounds and move on.

ETA: Warned him about the baiting and he said he doesn't bow hunt only rifle and it'll be long gone by late Nov early Dec when he can rifle hunt. In TN it just has to be gone 10 days before you hunt.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  11. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Well I guess if you hunt it you can always say the baits not on the property you are hunting. I'd set up and have at it