***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure if i asked, but did the arrow exit the body?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not fully it wasn't a full pass thru the broad head and arrow was sticking out from underneath but it rained from 4am till around 1 today so the blood is basically gone and I never found my arrow either the lighted nock disappeared in him and never came out.

3. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    He has my arrow in him so I know he's a dead deer but man I've searched every where now I never found any bloody beds either so where ever he beaded down he died I'm thinking.

4. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had a real good hit on the doe a killed this year. Still went 200 yards. He's dead around there. You just have to find him. I would still try to get a dog. Recovery is more important than a possible ticket

5. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dead deer for sure. Id consider the dog at this point.

6. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah we don't get tickets if we can't find our deer plus the yotes are so bad he'll be gone by tonight prob if not half gone were I was is very very far back you can't get a vehicle or anything in there to find him and the grass is around 7 ft tall but I called on a dog and the guy said with how much rain we just got and where he was the dog most likely would have alot of trouble trying to pick up the scent and I talked to the dnr warden he told me to just forget about the deer and try to shoot another he said there's basiclly nothing I can do if I can't find him he even said the yotes will take him out by tonight and I'll forsure get a ticket if I bring a dog out there he was cool he met me out by the parking area and talked to me for awhile and basically told me to give up on him.

7. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going after work tomm to look in one more general area over there i might of overlooked but other than that I looked if he's not in this area he crossed the property line and went into private were I won't be able to recover him but tomm will be the last day looking I figure by tomm he'll stink pretty bad and I'll be able to smell him or look for some kind of sign with the buzzards but we'll see tomm it will be the last day I track him after tomm I'm giving up I tracked over 500 yards in each direction today and saved all my tracks on on x maps so I know we're I walked to not walk the same path twice I grid searched all day today with maybe a 2 hour break and nothing I marked all the blood that I did find previously to the rain also but after 30 yards there's nothing no blood at all at the spot of impact there's a good little puddle and a bunch of hair on the ground the that the best spot other thst that it was very little and now the rain took everything away tomm will be the last day tracking there's nothing I can do at this point.

8. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I admire the effort you put in. Hopefully the crows will help sow you the way tomorrow. Rest a little easier knowing you gave it your all.

9. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx I'm so disappointed at this point it sucks but tomm I'll be out after work and Tuesday I'm off cause a doctor's apt so I'll prob be out Tues morning and evening after my apt I don't wana give up I've been studying topographic maps to see the land changes to see if I can get a better idea of were he maybe beded down and died.

10. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any water near where he ran?

11. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow i'm falling behind with the times! Great job so far everybody. Justin your'e a tease. BEJ good luck man. Keep an eye out for the vultures to lead you now. As for me, things are going pretty slow. It was in the 80's here all weekend so i stayed home. Thursday is suppose to drop into the 40-50s so that will be my striking day this week. Going to go hard for a day time buck on that sit. One of these weekends coming up I'm going to head south and use my landowners tag to get a quick doe and fill my freezer. Lot of stuff in the works just need the weather to cooperate.

12. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it's basiclly a swampy marsh grass land I'm hunting there's little pockets of water but alot of the grass hold water so it's real wet and marshy there's a small pond to the right of were he ran and behind that a giant lake I posted a pic of were I shot him a map and the dark lines that look like deer trails are all water little streams from deer trails I'll be out of work in a few hours looking again I'm hoping someone birds or something can lead me to him I know he's prob going to be ate up our yotes are bad here in North East illinois

13. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well at this point he meat is spoiled anyway so doesn't really matter if the yote's got him. Hopefully crows can lead you to him. I think you would have found him if it wasn't for the rain...some real funky luck right there.

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Hey BuckEye that stinks man! I feel your pain though. I took a very similar shot on a buck last year and was VERY lucky to recover him. The only saving grace was I had a total pass through with a 2" exit hole which bled the entire time. It ended up being a single lung hit and took the deer quite some time to expire. However I will say on a hit like that they typically bed down within the first 200 yards. If he wasn't pushed by you or coyotes he may be close. I would focus your efforts in that 200-250 yard radius from where you shot him. If he made it past that he's about impossible to find in those marsh areas.

Good luck. Hope you get him!

15. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got my brand new Sitka gear delivered today. Just in time for the front this weekend. The crappy part about moving and losing your heavier hunting clothes for the time being just got a whole lot more tolerable!

16. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Supposed to be 85* today. Really debating on going out this evening. It's going to be hot - but not sure. Obviously cannot get anything at home. But, that is rather warm. Cannot go tomorrow - then we have a chance of rain this week (oh, and wind). Hm.

BEJ, I take it no luck? Will you go out and try again?

Aaron, Christmas just arrived at your house!

17. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    58 degrees here tonight. I plan on being out there.

18. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's 5:15 here. Another hunter just came in 45 min after me and to avoid my tree stand he went through heavy foliage and bumped two bucks out of their bed couple hundred yards in front of me. They took off at a dead sprint but what are the odds they could still come back my way?

19. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Garet, did you end up seeing the bucks? My experience when I jump something or someone does - I never see a thing after, LOL. I have the worst luck.

I didn't go out last night - it was pretty windy, so I did some chores around the house (moved hay to the barn) - and right about an hour before sunset it started raining. Think I made a good choice there. Though, weather doesn't look too promising Thursday-Saturday.

20. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No I didn't. This other guy has started to make a habit of stopping under my stand after dark and we walk to our vehicles together. He has hunted that ground for 18 years now so i'm soaking up everything i can. He had 6 does and a basket under him last night and said he thought they were heading my way but i saw nothing.