Close to giving up.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AmIaManYet, Oct 12, 2016.

1. AmIaManYet

AmIaManYet Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So this is my first season as a bowhunter (two previous seasons w/rifle). This past week I have pattered the deer in the woods on my property (semi-suburban, low pressure) and put some mineral attractants in the shooting lanes. My game camera reveals a deer party for the past two mornings (4 full grown does, one yearling) between 7-9am, right in the area where I spread the attractant.

Last night, after reviewing the positive looking footage, I repeated what I did to get the deep party started...applied more attractant and decided to hunt that spot this morning. I took decent scent control precautions (hunting clothes outside in baking soda night before, oatmeal for breakfast, no coffee, baking soda shower). The wind was completely still.

There was not a single hint of a deer! How could it go from regular deer party to nothing at all? My frustration is mounting--last rifle season I spent probably 40 hours hunting, with nothing to show for it. Not sure how much I can take.

Any thoughts?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You may be pushing the deer off on the way in to your stand, try an afternoon to dark sit.

3. AmIaManYet

AmIaManYet Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Sota. I arrived in my stand 90 mins before sunrise. Is there still risk of pushing off deer if I arrive that early?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  4. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    man, I hate to tell you several of us have similar stories, steady trail camera pictures, think you've got them patterned, and you just do 1 thing wrong, or the weather moves them a little bit and they disappear for a day or two

happens to all of us
    its frustrating, but its hunting

5. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You just gotta remember that deer are unpredictable and they are almost never going to do what you think they will. I am sure they will be back. Just gotta keep your head up and keep on going after them!

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I thought you were talking a morning hunt, my bad. I would go more than 90 minutes before sunset on an afternoon sit.

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try to find the difference in weather conditions when the deer where there and not. Different wind speed and directions will change deer movements. High and low pressure changes. The two mornings with deer, could be the result of a weather condition where the wind was opposite of what is normal.

8. AmIaManYet

AmIaManYet Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My bust, I meant to say sunrise (I just corrected the post). I'll do just that and head out this afternoon.

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Keep your head in the game - It happens to all of us. There's a reason it is called hunting and not killing.

This will be my 4th year without releasing an arrows or shooting a shell (I've seen plenty, just not the right one).

10. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I like to be in the stand at least 3 hours befroe sunset, although the last two sits I had deer less than 20 minutes later.

What I would suggest to you is trying to pattern the deer based upon their natural movements. Minerals and attractants are great, but they dont always work and can encourage nocturnal activity.

Here is a great example. Forage Soybeans can be one of the best sources of protein in the deer woods, with pods providing upwards of 40% crude protein, and clovers are a great lush green food source in the fall with upwards of 20% crude protein under ideal conditions, yet when the acorns drop, which have very minimal nutritional benefits for deer, the herd will all but abandon a soybean or clover foodplot in search of these oak nuts. For thousands of years, deer have relied upon acorns and other natural sources of food and "foodplotting" and attractants are relatively new to the history of deer. If you can pattern deer off of their natural movements, bedding areas, and food sources I would bet you will start seeing more consistent activity and success.

11. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It takes a lot to "pattern" deer. They are subject to more variables than you can account for so keep that in mind. Also, you are not guaranteed anything in hunting, read around on here some guys go years and years without seeing a deer. Try to learn to just enjoy being in the woods on its own. It gets frustrating for everyone keep at it.

12. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the party! I'm in the same boat. Just keep at it. It's hunting, not shooting.

13. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also, Check out seasons3-5 of BHOD and follow Justin, as he has experience with disappointing seasons. Then watch season 6 and see how it can turn around fast.

View it as saving up for that big taxidermy bill that is coming;) just keep putting in the time and effort and you will connect.

14. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's hunting bud.

These animals make a living at not getting shot:)

If it was easy it wouldn't be a challenge but it make each kill that much more memorable.

Kilboars Hunt Club

15. AmIaManYet

AmIaManYet Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great--thanks a ton to everyone who posted. I think I needed to know that this was not some peculiar problem specific to me...caused by perhaps my "really strong pheremones" (as my gf suggested) that the deer can smell.

I'll keep you all posted.

16. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to deer hunting. every sit is a 50/50 chance, regardless of moon phase, temps, and even trail camera pics. you just have to give it more time that's all. good luck buddy.

17. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    also, if the acorns just started dropping. your deer are probably eating them. Acorns are like deer candy.

18. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope your season turns around. I felt a similar feeling all through October last year, not seeing much, waiting for the big one to come around. I found myself pretty annoyed. Decided to approach things differently, I sat Halloween night without my bow. Instead I took a camera and both my boys and we just sat and took pictures of squirrels and a few cool woodpeckers that happened to come by. We still didn't see anything as far as deer but I wasn't upset about it anymore. It made me realize I do this for many more reasons than filling whatever tag is in my pocket. It also turned my luck around. I killed a 130 inch 9 point on November 4th and 180 inch 12 point on November 24th. Then killed a mature doe late season. It's all about the approach for me. If I feel myself getting frustrated its time to dial it back and remember what this experience is supposed to be about for me. Good luck the rest of the season and I hope it becomes all that you hoped it to be.

19. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's why they call it hunting and not shooting! Don't give up so easy! If it was a piece of cake everytime then people wouldn't bother.

"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together." Fred Bear. "

20. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it was that easy they would call it the grocery store. The patience of Job is needed for this sport man, just sit back and enjoy the time outside, if you don't like that part of it and it's all about killing deer, you may be in the wrong sport. I know it gets frustrating, but you went to bowhunting which is a million times harder than a gun. Anyone can pick a deer off at 100 yards, it takes some real patience to stick with it. Keep your head up.