***Sons of Actaeon -TEAM 25***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Aug 14, 2016.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well those of you who are friends on facebook or follow Small Acre Hunting on it know my weekend was a slow and bad one. Saturday I did end up hunting the New Property but all was very quiet save some Turkeys...not worried though. Won't go back there to hunt till 3rd week of October at the earliest now.

Sunday hit up the Swamp Property along a corn field and was on doe patrol if given chance...however when I pulled my bow up I noticed instantly an issue with the rest. The screw that adjusted rest side to side was lose and the rest was completely floating....hunt over.

Climbed down went home extremely TICKED...but bow is 96% of the way back to shooting bullets...micro adjusting tonight with fresh arms and will be back in the saddle most likely Wednesday or Friday afternoons. Saturday only have the morning to hunt and Sunday only the afternoon. Will play it by wind, but would really like to pound a doe this week to then just focus solely on buck till late season...however high heat temps till weekend may mean Saturday will be first real chance of making that happen.

2. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got in the tree yesterday afternoon around 3 and after about an hour I started seeing deer. Had steady deer movement for the next couple hours and I ended up seeing 9 does and a flock of 23 turkeys. I will be headed back out this afternoon when I get done work and hopefully will get a chance at a good buck.

3. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go get 'em, I won't be back out before at least Saturday, maybe Sunday? Big cold front moving through my area Friday into Saturday. 15 to 20 degree drop! Could be good!!

4. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in with u guys. Have yet to make it in the stand yet. Tuesday I had to go get new limbs put on my bow so yesterday and today I was tuning the bow back in. Checked a couple cams and took care of a issue at the new property today. Last night the big 9 showed up on cam half hour after dark so he moved closer to shooting time. Temps are dropping tomorrow throughout the weekend. May get out tomorrow night if work is slow and I can dip out early. Other then that won't be till Sunday night I can make it out. Time it hard this year but so far it's been to warm out for me to want to go intrude a stand area

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Playing tomorrow by ear (weather wise) and sadly I despise morning hunts in early season but Saturday will be one as I cannot hunt the evening.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas quick update....my one main property (where I have killed my last 2 bucks actually) has had numerous issues. Neighbor's steers got loose and for about all of September were trouncing all around causing quite the stir as neighbors also walked property attempting to find them once or twice a week. Santuaries/Bedding Plots everywhere walked. To top it off the owner's grandkids have been anything but quiet on the property, not upset as it is their grandpas but it has definitely meant the least amount of pics there in the 4 or 5 years of cams there. FINALLY it seems the deer are adjusting and making appearances again, granted this may change some once corn is gone but we shall see. Food plot is seeing a lot of daytime activity (see pics) and FINALLY while at nighttime the GIANT two have re-appeared. I'll take it despite being at night.

IMAG0146.jpg IMAG0213.jpg IMAG0240.jpg IMAG0274.jpg IMAG0016.jpg

As for today, I amazingly will be back at the new property as a NE/East wind yields the best short entrance stand there is viable...and that property so far shows the best movement. There is a car wounded doe there that I've decided I'll shoot should I get a chance. Splits is the most killable right now, but I'm hoping Big Dave or Gary come by today so I can not be forced to decide on Splits haha.

Date wrong but Splits beating up on a youngin:
    IMAG0057.jpg IMAG0060.jpg

Just might be posting a bloody arrow tonight...but don't expect much, actually think the wounded doe is more likely than Splits, Big Dave or Gary, but who knows.

7. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Tynimiller. I sat yesterday morning and evening. I had a few does come by, but didn't have a shot on any of them.

The ten point my cousin shot last week is still on his feet. I have him on camera Friday night. He doesn't seem in poor condition, so i hope he is going to keep moving through out the season. Gonna change properties next week and not hunt my main property again till November

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

8. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am finally back in the tree after two days of rain from hurricane Matthew! It is a bit windy but it is in my favor so we will see how it goes! Good luck to everyone and be safe!

9. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was as close as I'm going to get without a shot tonight. 30 yards I had a great 9 pointer come through behind me heading to my beans. He is bigger then I initially thought. I am thinking well over 150. Had he turned to the right while feeding in the beans he would have entered a shooting lane at 22 yards. Still very exciting and brings a lot of confidence heading into the next month.

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!

Fellas, my hunt didn't end in any sightings while on stand but it is early and the best is yet to come. I did however nearly shoot a doe walking in as I use an old overgrown dirt racetrack (dirtbike) to access my stand; 3 does were out in it and as I popped over a hill there they were 15 yards in front of me...if I'd had an arrow nocked I'd probably had taken the free doe shot haha!

Scrapes are just starting to get opened and caught two bucks on one property tickling horns together on cam...slowly and steady it is coming.

11. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Well went out last Friday for the first time and had a great hunt. Had my big 9 at 60 yards in the corn then he hit the creek and it was either he turns and comes straight towards me or straight away. Like they usually do he went straight away. Went out Sunday to what I thought was going to be a great hunt until the neighbor came blowing down his property line at 6 and got out started B******* up a storm. Got mad as all get out cause I was hunt travel routes from his woods. ( note I'm a 100 yards from the property line and all his stand are on the line and able to shoot on both sides) none the less I don't want to deal with that kind of bs and don't want the farmer to deal with it either so today I moved my stands another 100 yards down the tree line. Positive note 20 degree drop for Thursday and have work off so I'll be in a stand

12. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
  13. sgcableguy

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! Good luck with him!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pulled 7 camera cards today off 4 different properties. There are some bright spots. I have some real good deer showing up during daylight on my home farm and on another farm they are late but its early yet. The (heat) is coming.....I can see it in the pictures.:)

15. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20161011_114148.jpg
    A taste... 20161011_111909.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  16. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the first shot didn't help at all. Dr said he was gonna give me another one. I'm getting in a tree Friday I can sit now without it hurting, and I've been shooting my bow with no problems. So I'll be hunting from here on. Congrats to all that have killed deer so far!!!

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

17. sgcableguy

Dislikes Received:
    That is great news. I am in a stand right now. Temps are about 58. Feels right????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dbl lung that third deer's body is huge. Not to shabby on the horns either I'd shoot any of them, but I really like that 3rd one.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

19. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Spikes, spikes, and more spikes!!! That about sums up my last few hunts! Lol! Can't seem to find a shooter buck to save my life but on a good note my dad killed a decent 8 pointer last night so hopefully they will start moving pretty good here!

20. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Neither of those deer are on the hit list. I have much bigger around and will hold out for something 150ish. Those in the pictures are 140 at the most and young deer with great potential.