Pro staff

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by blockhead00, Sep 23, 2016.

1. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Plus he sounds like a Canadian. He's ah booot to reply. A?

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hoser....

3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Take off A.

4. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this! Just last weekend I filmed my b-roll at the truck and packed my camera gear and headed to the stand...only to realize 10-15 steps from the truck I had forgotten my bow. At least I hadn't climbed into the tree! Self filming is stressful!

Hunting with a parter is much more enjoyable in my book, it's just so damn hard to align schedules!

5. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the record, I'm a big Josh Sturgill fan since I'm in TN - however he is in the east part of the state and I'm smack in the middle. Of course I think every hunt I've seen him he's hunted KY or WV, LOL!

Here's the thing about being a "prostaffer." It's a love it or hate it kinda thing. No real in between. If you love it, you might get down and swing toward the hate it side for a bit but come back to loving it.

I used to be part owner of a production company. Living outside of Nashville when music videos were big that's how it started and I was just an investor. Around 2005(?) maybe when videos were going out and we had all of this equipment we decided to start a hunting show. All three of us were huge hunters, good friends and actually shared a lease or two.

What started and worked for years as one guy being real hands on, one guy being lightly involved and me staying out of the way being a money man - turned into guy #1 has nothing to do with #2 or me and me and #3 went from best buddies to rarely seeing each other. He got married 2-3 years ago and I've never even met his wife.

I saw real quick self filming was not for me. Sounded great, takes a different person to make it work. I need a camera man. I didn't ask my partners because I wasn't gonna sit all day filming them either. I hired a guy to film and it really took one of my favorite aspects of hunting away. Me sitting by myself in the woods.

If I wanted to do an all day sit, he'd start nudging me about overtime. If shortly after day break I was ready to go he would start asking about getting paid for the whole day. My escape from work became worse than work.

We did hunting and fishing. I was the fisherman of the three and did a lot better there. I could have a guy on the other end of my bass boat 21' away and since I didn't have to be silent I was able to speak and interject humor, etc.

Try self filming and hit a major dry spell in getting a deer. One finally comes up and it doesn't set up well for filming you'll shoot anyway and have no footage and you lugged all of that out there for nothing.

One of the things I love about BHoD is I'm not watching last years hunts. We're watching some that are 4-5 days old. When you guys are talking about weather, etc it's what I'm seeing as well. I like that. With that said and knowing what goes into a show - I have NO IDEA how you guys put it together in the amount of time you do and make it look as good as it does. I hope you take very good care of whoever edits and puts it together he/she's worth it.

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well said. I have been on a few video hunts with my son and it changes a lot of things. I always told him that he'd better be on the game because if I got a shot, I was taking it! I picked up Josh Sturgill at the airport in Gillette, Wyoming this year when he hunted deer and antelope in episode 13 with my son. He is a super nice guy and it was great to spend time with him while he and his buddies were there for the week.