***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man buckeye you never want to shoot someone not even joke about. Now maybe an arrow threw a tire sounds good.

I just set up 2.2 miles back and this spot is incredible I've never seen sign like this in public. A little warm and very light rain but the front is coming tonight so hopefully they get on their feet. Brought the recurve since it's lighter to carry but should have brought the compound I can shoot a long ways here. My luck a monster will stand at 30 tonight (my recurve range is 25)

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm set up. Should have looked at weather low is only 68 at 7p. Not ideal. 76 now. No deer on camera in five days. My archery luck is terrible.

3. united12

united12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you've already decided to hunt that property Buckeye, but just to give you some more confidence, I have about an 8 acre piece I hunt and it's one of my favorite properties I've ever had. The doe I killed last Saturday was on that property, and I killed a nice 8 point and a doe on it last year. Additionally, I shot a giant 10 pointer on that property last year as well, but I got into the shoulder and he ended up living. It is surrounded by corn (beans last year) and alfalfa this year, and also has a couple nice acorn producing oaks in it. What I've found to be the key to hunting it (in my opinion) is to keep very low pressure on it. I generally only hunt that particular piece in optimal conditions. With it being so small, deer that visit it somewhat regularly will pattern you pretty quickly if you over-hunt it. Like I said, that's just my opinion on it. It's been a great early-season property for me the past few years, and have had some rut success there as well. Either way, I hope it works out for you, and good luck!

4. united12

united12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard stories (likely tall-tales) about people killing deer with warm temps. I've never bought into it too much though. ;) Honestly though, it is hard (for me anyway) to get excited with conditions like those. Little bit of a cool front coming through here this weekend may create some action. But good luck tonight! Never know what can happen!

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    United, I think they are tall-tales, lol. Didn't see a deer until dark when I was walking out standing along the field.

6. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saw 3 does and a fawn one doe and the fawn were within range and when I was at the base of my tree packing up a deer blew at me and took off. I could see horns I believe of the little bit I seen but if it was horns it wasn't anything impressive. 2.2 miles in and hour walk each way def not much pressure. Will wait a few weeks before heading back there for a rut all day sit

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Dedication. I hope it pays off for you!

8. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have plenty of private land to hunt about 2 hours north but I get such a thrill from learning new public land spots and being successful on public land is a great feeling. Granted being successful anywhere feels good but something about public just keeps me coming back

9. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Locked and loaded for my 2nd sit of the year. I've seen 4 deer already but unfortunately that was in my walk to my stand! :( Moving extra early tonight with the cooler temps I guess. Hopefully that's a good sign.

10. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well been out all day again sitten over a apple tree with apples all over the ground and nothing man public land in illinois sucks lol well got a little bit of time left I'll let you guys know what happens if anything does lol.

11. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    20161007_174244.jpg 20161007_174233.jpg
    Sitting now. Have some monster tracks under the stand from this morning. Hope he's bedding over here

12. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I slung an arrow at doe. Took my time, felt good about the shot. 23 yards. Relaxed, quartering slightly away. She kicked and ran off and stood about 40 yards from where I shot her, she got wobbly and walked forward and went down. 5 minutes later, she stood up, walked a bit and disappeared again. I think she went back down, but now I'm doubting the shot. Hit her a tad back maybe, but thought she was quartering enough away that I would have centered the back lung from where the entry was. I think she's going to die, but confused at this point. Obviously the shot was worse than I thought, but I saw the entry plain as day and hit where I was aiming. The only thing I am second guessing is if she wasn't quartering away as much as I thought and I only got liver. Gonna give her time and hopefully she expires.

13. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a liver hurt to me man. Give her some time and she will be right there! Good job! I had a great sit. Saw an absolute GIANT 8 point come out of the swamp I was in and go into a private corn field with a very nice 2.5 10 point with him. Got to watch the ten for a while. GREAT NIGHT.

14. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Well I smoked a cream colored yote tonight and can't find it anywhere I don't think my broadhead opened up correctly it was 17 yards a perfect shoulder hit but there was no blood trail and I can't find him he's a beautiful yote to get mounted he came in started eating the apples with 2 other yotes I drew back and released he basically did a damn back flip when hit the hit was loud to I don't know what happened but after I walked out the other 2 started howling real low like a sad howl if there is one and they were about 50 yards to left of were I stopped looking I'm going to go back tomm to check and and hang a stand a little further in .

15. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    It was a beautiful yote and I wish I could of found it but I had to stop it was dark and there were 2 others with him so I backed out but I can't find any blood anywhere at all not one drop it's weird never had this happen before the arrow is covered in great bright blood I'm at a lose for words I don't know what happened.

16. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    I just hope the other 2 don't eat him up tonight so I can mount him.

17. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Found good blood, marked it and coming back in the morning. Hopefully she died close to where I last saw her. To make the night even more exciting, I saw a deer right where I saw her last and thought she stood up again, but after this deer cleared the brush, I saw t was a nice buck. It was getting toward close, but he ended up following her trail in reverse right into my food plot where I shot her. He fed toward me and gave me a perfect broadside shot at 12 yards. He was right around 125" and mighty tempting as it would have probably been my biggest bow buck, but not by much. Holding out for something bigger this year and can't keep shooting 115"-130" deer if I want to shoot 140"-150"s. Proud of myself. Hopefully I find the doe in the morning unchewed on.

18. headstrong

Dislikes Received:
    Doe should be dead. Nice job.
    Nice job on the yote hope you find it.
    Had a nice 10 point come out last night. The smaller one I got pics of that I posted. He should be really nice next year. Also had 4 baldies out

19. headstrong

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Job On Holding Out For A Big one. I know it's tough. I also try to do 130" or bigger but some times my trigger finger tells me other wise

20. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, eventually found her this morning. Took a bit because of the utter lack of blood. Couldn't find my arrow buried in the ground. Was feeling very frustrated because I knew the shot was fatal. I tracked her about 60 yards and lost blood completely, but knew the trail she was on. Followed that trail as long as I could through the woods to no avail. Started doing circles and checking other trails. Was in despair and following a trail back from a different angle and found her laying dead just inside of the woods. She went maybe 100-125 yards total. We walked by her a number of times, but just didn't see her until almost stumbling over her 10 yards off the trail I had her following into the woods. The shot was as I thought. Back a touch, but centerpunching the top of the liver on the entry and exiting through the opposite side lung. Thankfully, plenty cool overnight. Coyotes left her alone. Baffled by the lack of blood. Full pass through. Always learning I guess. 50 more points on the board!