Keeping a deer cool this weekend

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MKleisch, Oct 5, 2016.

1. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    gut the deer spray it out as fast as possible pack as much ice as u can in the cavity lay the deer on a tarp but ice under the rear quarter and front leg do the same on the top of the deer and warp it up be sure to split the pelvic bone and put ice inbetween its legs as well wrap it up u will get by with a 75degree day for 24 hours how do I no bc I did it 3 days ago with my doe until I had the time to process it. it took about 10 small 7 lbs bags of ice but the deer weighed 130 lbs field dressed

2. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Save yourself the headache and a bunch of cash. Buy a table and a cheap butcher set. Get on youtube and learn how to do your basics. Cut it up yourself and freeze it. If you want the fancy stuff take it in when you have the chance. Even if you don't plan on doing any of the rest of it yourself it may still save you some money as a few butchers in my area charge skinning/boning fees.

3. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I did, its easier than I taught. And learned something new every time. Plus I done it about 3x now and I have got faster and faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a deer last weekend same temps as what you have described. I shot the buck at 6 pm skinned it that night and propped it open. I then deboned it and put the meat into coolers with ice. Let it set for a couple days and worked on cutting steaks and grinding burgers. Took a couple hours and I was done. The worst part is disposing the carcass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hunting in central Florida is usually in pretty warm weather so we take two large coolers with plenty of ice, skin and quarter deer or hog right away and put them on ice to cool down for the two hour ride home. Last year left a deer in the coolers and kept adding ice to age it for a week and then butchered it. great tasting venison.