Scent control question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by remist17, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My scent control system is to hunt down wind from where I expect deer to be.

2. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I did something right with my scent control. Shot a doe at 15 yards on Saturday. she did not even know I was there. Thanks for all replies. It helped a lot.

3. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What you are doing is plenty, but as some others have mentioned here, hunt the WIND! No matter how much scent control you do, a mature buck's nose will pick you up! Its easy to fool a doe or a immature buck, sure, but a mature animal wont fall for that. Hunt the wind right and eliminate the risk of burning out your stands or being detected.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  4. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to save some money, dont ever buy another bottle of any scent eliminator spray. (I dont care what brand) Dont waste your money. It does no harm and at the same time does no good. It makes you wet so buy water and spray down with that as it will get you the same results.

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've read a lot about ozone in the past couple of days because I wanted to make a scent closet.

It sounds like ozone damages your gear and that alone makes it a waste of money if you ask me.

6. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After using a few ozone units for gear for the last 4 seasons I will disagree with your comment. We have seen zero damage or degradation to our gear after prolonged exposure to ozone from Scent purge 50 units.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The majority of stuff I've been reading has said the opposite. I'm trying to find something to justify doing that, but I don't want to risk my gear.

What's your ozone system look like? Closet? And maybe the purge isn't as powerful?

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll say this. I have the scentpurge 80 by whitetail'r and also the scent crusher bag. I can notice a big difference in the strength of the ozone odor. the scent crusher has a much more powerful unit as far as I can smell. lol

9. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use "dead down wind" everything, such as soap, shampoo, spray, dryer sheets, field wipes, deodorant etc... I also buy the "Earth" wafers which I normally hook one to my hat and one to the bottom of my treestand seat. But like what was said before, you're not going to fool a mature deers nose, not even a weary doe and especially not a mature buck. They might not know what you are or be able to pin point you because of the scent control products, but they will more than likely know something isn't right to the point they won't come any closer and present a shot if they wind you. Play the wind to the best of your advantage is the best way to go, although I still don't think scent control is a complete gimmick like some people say it is.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  10. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shock my clothes with a 3500 mg unit with no damage to gear.