Trophy Photos

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MIHOYT89, Oct 4, 2016.

1. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Horrible trophy photos have been and will always be one of my biggest pet peeves. I know that people do not always have a hunting partner with them to take a good photo but I guarantee that everyone takes their deer (buck or doe) to show them off somewhere or another. The least you can do is take the animal out of the truck find a tree and take a decent picture (not straddling them)...does anyone else get tired of seeing the horrible back of the truck of selfie trophy photo, or is it just me?

2. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    just you

3. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look, worry about the important stuff rather than the little things. Trust me I would have loved to have gotten a better trophy photo but shooting a deer on a warm night where I was pressed to get the deer taken care of, I wasn't driving around showing it off. Last thing on my mind was making sure I didn't offend someone because my trophy photo didn't fit someone else's standard.

4. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure there is a forum out there for professional photographers, but last i checked we're all hunters here.

5. Bmiller23

Bmiller23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I always plan for the day after to go back to the farm and take some good pics. I do have access to a walk in cooler which makes this a lil easier but nevertheless you can class it up a lil, wipe off blood put the tongue back in and sit behind it like you are grateful not a scavenger. Just my opinion.

6. Bmiller23

Bmiller23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1475597326.828052.jpg
    Here's one from a couple weeks ago.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All the work I (assume we) put into it...does seem so disrespectful to even ourselves to just spit out some truck bed photos.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Although.....that said. I'll take a truck bed photo over a purposefully done photo with an angle and arm bar to make it appear 20-40 inches bigger......

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not just you. But I have more of a problem with it if it's posted on large social media platforms. I could care less about the contest photos or pictures on here.

Unfortunately the whole country doesn't hunt, so we're always being judged by what the outsiders see. I'd much rather them see a quality photo of a buck in it's habitat than in a truck bed. Sometimes you can't control that, but that's what I would prefer.

I have a bigger issue with the deer being the sponsors billboard on pictures. That's a different discussion though.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  10. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I don't see a difference between a truck bed photo and a photo where you just throwing the deer over a log, throwing your bow on it, and its side covered in blood

thoughts ?

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like when I see all kinds of advertising props placed around A small doe hero pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I put a lot of work into killing that buck, I'm going to put a lot of work into taking quality pictures to help capture the moment. I don't even take a second look at a picture of a buck when I see it in the back of a truck, or some jackleg straddling him.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a trophy doe bro'

14. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get me wrong I'll stage my deer and take nice photos. Part of the trophy is the pictures themselves. They preserve the moment and keep it as a memory. That being said, I'm not going to chastise somebody on the pictures they choose to take. We are all of different walks of life. A button buck might be a trophy to some but not to others and that's okay. The same goes for trophy photos.

15. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To each their own. I have enough in my life to worry about to care about someone else's picture.

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The only pictures I have of my buck I had mounted I'm straddling it and another where it was in the back of the truck.

I was young and dumb.

My take on it now... I could care less if a guy takes a picture of the deer he killed in the back of his truck. I don't really see taking a picture the "right or wrong" way as being disrespectful to the animal. Disrespecting the animal to me means shooting it and not recovering, etc.

Is it disrespectful to take pictures of me, my dad, grandpa, brother, and family with deer hanging from the deer pole? Or do we need to pose all pretty to ensure we are respecting those animals?

17. BlackHammer

BlackHammer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like pictures period. I've always took pictures of whatever I harvested to the best of my ability. Truck bed pics may not be the best but the memory is still the same

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I take two pictures of a buck one as I find it and another as soon as I have somebody there to take a picture of me with it. I have a friend who tries to talk me into taking a "nice" picture every year. Seems fake to take the deer down the next day and get dressed in camo again and pose with the animal.

19. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whatever floats their boat, but it becomes a problem when they share it on social media. I've seen my fair share of trophy photos that make me cringe, so I can't imagine what reaction it gets from non-hunters.

On a scale, the truck bed pictures aren't terrible, but they're not good either.

We all can and should do better. There's no excuse for crappy pictures if you have a hunting partner or camera/tripod with you. If not, take the quality photo when you get home.

There's always scenarios where you can't, but I'm talking about the 80%.

20. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not all glitz and glamour and 95% percent of my trophy photos(does and small bucks included, every animal I shoot is a trophy) have been taken with a cell phone but I always get one decent picture in the deer's natural surrounding. To me it is the end of the journey or adventure of that particular hunt, and it helps embed that memory that much deeper into my memory.

Take this one for example, this was my wife's first deer ever from this past weekend. It was 8:30pm our sitter was only scheduled to stay until 9:00 but it only took 2 minutes and it will help my wife and I remember the whole hunt from start to finish. IMG952964.jpg