Hanging Trail Cameras High

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Weekend Woodsmen, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Weekend Woodsmen

Weekend Woodsmen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of the things we believe in is hanging your trail cameras high. This is a way to keep the camera out of the range of the deer's nose which helps keep the pressure down in the area. We believe it makes a big difference and helps us get more pictures of bucks. One negative we have found is it messes with the detection angle/range depending on how high and what angle it is at. Some cameras are impacted more than others. Do you hang your trail cameras high? What other tips do you have for how to use trail cameras to get more pictures and better pattern deer? He put together this video to highlight that and some of the other tips we have and the different ways we use trail cameras for those that are newer to it or looking for ways to get more out of their trail cameras!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried hanging cameras high, but I usually forget where I put them and I always have the munchies afterwords.

3. Weekend Woodsmen

Dislikes Received:
    Haha guess I didn't think of that downside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMHO I don't think deer smell a trail cam if you spray it down & sits in the woods for a few days. Anytime I've tried putting a cam up high the pics have been ****ty.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All mine get hung between 4 and 7 feet.

6. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    I try to only hang cameras when it's raining. this way Nature removes all of my scent. plus, I'm usually in a super hurry and just have to get it down.

7. Weekend Woodsmen

Dislikes Received:
    Do you only pull cards in the rain too? We started using Python cables to and straps to secure to the tree and lock which makes it much faster and quieter checking cards without having to move or mess with camera positioning.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try to hang mine all above my head or higher but for theft reasons, not so much deer detection.

9. mddave

mddave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made camera hangers out of a tree steps to hang them high. only problem I see with hanging camersas high an angled down to the ground is you get more pictures of squirrels mice, chipmunks etc.

10. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir. But I used to have an HTC phone with a SD card reader attachment. now I have a Iphone and haven't messed with looking for the accessory. Last year I didn't even hang cameras. I was trying a new method on not going into the woods at all until I had my bow in hand. turns out, I got lost with no clear trails, and the neighbor was putting in a pond near the stand I choose to hunt in. (Heavy machinery and a lot of folks yelling at each other. Had I been scouting at all I might have discovered before hand that there was a huge buck bedding around my 2 man stand. The question I have is, had I been going into the woods regularly, would that huge buck still have choose that spot as his??? I've only been down there once this year and that was a few weeks back. I will try and make it down next week when season is in to check cameras and hopefully learn more then.

11. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i hang them about deer head level, yes sometimes a doe will come give the camera a kiss, but i've never had any issues with them.
    we're on private land in a pretty remote area so not worried about idiots coming and stealing cameras.

my tips for getting good pictures is landscaping, we really put a lot of time and effort into the property and trails.
    we then place cameras at intersections and locations where deer enter and exit the property.

12. Zweibarrt

Zweibarrt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got some great pictures with cameras 2-3 feet off the ground.