Stupidity

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sig239, Sep 28, 2016.

1. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So we had a cold front move through TN on Mon and I am just itching to be in my stand as much as possible. Well, I tried to thread the needle and get out there before the storms hit (and it looked like they may skirt around me). Almost turned into something bad. 2 trees fell within 40 yds of me but I got out before the storm directly hit. The rain hit as soon as I closed my truck door. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

That is the fastest I've ever got my climber down a tree though...

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bet I was faster back in 2011 LOL. Where I hunt and live we never had black bears and to be honest never knew much about them. Well in 2011 I got one on a trail cam which was pretty rare. Well opening day rolled around and I went in with my climber to a spot I got a really nice 8 and 9 point on camera. Got all setup and about 10 mins later that evening I heard a bunch of crashing and branches breaking. I got ready and waited thinking and hoping it was a big one. Well about 30 seconds later I looked over and following my trail I took into my stand is a black bear huff growling as he walks. Needless to say, I had to be put on heart medication as I about crapped my pants. Ok not really but still. Well it huff growled all the way to the base of my tree and I'm about to piss my pants as he is growling to what I assume that he is trying to find me/my smell. Eventually he bolted out of the area.

Well. I was down that tree so god damn fast and I never even put my summit viper climber together. I carried each piece on each shoulder and ran out of the woods. LOL To this day, my dad and grandpa still pick on me about it.

3. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yikes.

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy.

Amazing all the burnt trees and remains of passed brush fires I walked past this year in NM from lighting. One thing I don't care for.

Kilboars Hunt Club

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you see any deer?

6. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted one morning when there was a report of light rain. HOWEVER, up on the mountain it was a couple degrees colder so the tree's trunk was frozen. When the light rain and drizzle hit the tree it froze solid. I did not realize what was happening until it was too late, and it was before cell phones, so my choices were take a chance climbing down, or freeze to death in an icy rain. I decided to try to climb down, but the second I shifted my weight from the Loggy Bayou stand to the climbing aid, down I went, basically in free fall! Escaped with only a couple sprained ankles, thankfully. I am now more of a fair weather hunter!

7. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I cross the atchafalaya river in a 18' skiff in 4 ft seas to get to my stand so I don't know what y'all are talking about.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

8. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeepers!! At least you made it out in 1 piece!!

9. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been on some big water in a small overloaded duck boat when no one had any business being out. No way I'd do it now especially since it's no longer just me in the picture.

10. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same, we recently set up some locations on an island on our camp side of the river so we don't have to leave protected water when the wind picks up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you made it out safely!

12. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last evening of an expensive Newfoundland moose hunt had some serious weather on the horizon, but I was the hardcore of the group. Went out anyway and my guide simply pointed me in the direction and went back to the truck. I sat in 3 consecutive thunderstorms.....each one worse than the previous while hunkered down in some tall grass to stay away from trees. Needless to say, I saw no moose and was drenched to the bone. Thank God I lived to tell about it but it was not the wisest decision of my adult life.

13. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ha...you know the answer to that one. They were smart enough to hunker down.