When to stay in the stand all day

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Parkerg31, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Parkerg31

Parkerg31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This weekend is opening weekend for me here in the south, and it just so happens to work out that there will be a nice new moon for me. The wildlife moon predictor thing says that it is a five star day, and that the major feeding time is around 1-3pm and the minor times are morning and evening. That being said, who here here would advise me to pull an all day sit in the stand. I've never done it before but am totally willing to. I just wanted to prepare ahead of time and see what yall thought

2. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't burn yourself out with an all day sit this early. Wait until the rut ramps up or you get a good cold front. I usually only pull about 3 all day sits a year and they are all in November.

3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sit all day if you can. In NY we have 10 1/2 months in between deer season. Hunt hard who knows what might show. You won't know if you aren't out there. As long as you have multiple spots to hunt is a factor to.

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually don't sit all day until after Nov. 1st and even then the weather and the movement have to show me an all day sit is warranted.

5. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Closer to the rut, whenever you can.
    In the grand scheme: none of us are guaranteed tomorrow.
    $#!t happens good and bad. Enjoy an all day sit.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is great advice!

I don't know about down south, but up here in Pa, the last week of Oct to the middle of Nov is prime time. I do a week straight of dark to dark hunts during the rut. Can't wait!

7. BlackHammer

BlackHammer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm comfortable and not bothered by others I'll sit long as needed in any conditions. If you're somewhere not swarmed by bugs and such I think a long sit would be perfect.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never do it all day sits but that is due to health reasons. Back when I could I usually waited until around Halloween to start doing all day sits.

9. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy and I have been sitting all but two hours every day. We have been seeing deer at 3 o'clock on up till 5 o'clock. If you have a comfortable stand come down for two hours to stretch your legs and eat and go right back in that is what we do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only way I'm doing an all day sit this early is due to 1 or both of the following 2 reasons:

#1 - I have consistent (like 3 or 4 times a week) a target buck feeding in a huntable spot during daylight hours.

#2 - I go up in the morning and have a target buck bed just outside of bow range...(calling in sick or canceling rest of the day)

11. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I say sit all day if you want to. What I really want to do is correlate trail cam activity to those predicted hunting times to see if there is anything to them.

12. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to sit all day, why not! Your chances are certainly better than sitting in your truck, house, or diner. :rock:

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll do it as long as I have a decent wind in my favor. otherwise scent will pool. or if I really want to do an all day-er I will try to move to another stand if possible.

14. Tony.Loney

Tony.Loney Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can't kill him if you were not there when he walks by

15. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So, the popular idea behind all day sits is based on the facts that while in rut bucks cruise all the time. They can either cross paths with you or push other deer. Now with that being said. Bucks shouldn't be cruising now nor anytime soon. Weather is another factor. Deer don't move as much when's warmer out. Taking this into consideration and the fact your down south. Personally I'd hold off on your first all day sit. It's bad enough the days are still very long. Most people would suggest waiting until Halloween, but I say a week later. An all day sit can and will be a will of patience. It's best to hold off until the days are shorter and the deer are moving

16. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy a day or tree in the woods especially with a bow in my hand.

17. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I typically don't do all day sits until the last week in October at the earliest but to each there own I guess....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually sit "all day" on very special (desperate) occasions. It's definitely a tough thing to do up here in NY especially when it gets pretty bitter cold come November. If I'm going to sit all day the conditions have to be absolutely right (rut, weather, wind). However, there are plenty of days that as soon as the season starts, I will drag out a sit as long as I can if the weather and wind permit. Our time in the woods is so limited, if I can be out I will. Some days you stay in one stand all day, some you may need an hour just to grab lunch and warm up, some I'll move spots as the day goes on. After shooting a couple of good bucks in the middle of the day, I have always thought that anytime I'm comfortable and don't have anything to do, it is worth a longer sit. Hope this helps.

19. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I normally do it starting the end of October.

20. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I must have the wrong stand. I have to come out for couple of hours to eat and discuss what's going on with the others that are hunting that day as well as who is hunting where that week.