Advice on getting permission to hunt.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jordan86, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a question and thought I'd "poll the audience"...

I live next to a 150 acre tree farm that, as near I can tell, is not managed in any way. It's pretty much all over grown except for some atv trails. I want to hunt it but I want to go about this the right way, by getting permission not just doing it because I think I can get away with it. (Like I assume the atv folks are doing.) I was able to get the name of the company that owns it from public record (also how I figured out it was a tree farm). I don't have a phone number but I have a couple addresses.

I was thinking of sending a letter with my contact info and asking permission? Bad idea good idea???

What are your thoughts on the respectful or most courteous way to go about this?

2. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sound like a good start

3. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like the letter idea. Face to face has aways worked well for me, but if your ugly then , yes dear God send a letter instead.
    With this being company owned property. You must print out some legal forms and ruff of insurance and provide copies. A company can't risk its business by allowing anyone to be on their property climbing trees and getting hurt then during them. You have to prove to them that's not your intent from the start.

4. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, face to face is best I have sent numerous letters out and never got a return, the only way I would write a letter is if the address is too far to drive to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have had far less success face to face...but I think your area of the country might play into this more so. If more of a country setting I think people are more "neighborly" and in more rural settings some view your just popping in as intrusive in nature.

I have sent letters and had awesome success from folks responding to me thanking me for the letter and explaining my desires and the respect I obviously would have for the land and them should I be allowed but that they currently have someone else hunting it.

I even had a lady say if it wasn't her husbands brother she'd kick him off and have me because she doesn't like him or how he abuses the right.

Make sure to do the following in the letter:

-Introduce yourself, don't go on and on but do more than "my name is" throw a personal line in about where you grew up or where you live now with your wife if you have one...makes you seem more personable and approachable.

-Explain your hunting background briefly and that you obey all legal hunting regulations.

-Explain (and include) a liability release. Some states protect landowners without these but explain you desire this to be very clear that you take 100% ownership of any and all accidents you may have while there.

-Express that you understand the possible hesitancy towards allowing someone to gun hunt and would only be bow hunting (golden ticket for me a couple times).

-Express that any and all trash you come across will be removed from the property and you will never litter any yourself.

-Explain that you wrote the letter to avoid coming across intrusive or desiring to allow them to think about it and not make a quick decision because you just pulled up unannounced.

-I include an unaddressed stamped envelope which they can use to respond or simply use however they want, an email and a phone number and let them know they can respond whichever way is easier for them.

6. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing better then walking up shaking a persons hand and looking them in the eyes if possible. Remember to do the same on the way out no matter what the answer is, they might change their minds

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had some responses to writing letters, some I never heard from again. A lot of property around here is owned by people who live out of state so a face to face is not possible. I do a lot of what tynimiller posted. The difference is I address the stamped envelope I include, because some people are really lazy and won't even bother to copy your address from the letter to the envelope. I even had some people thank me in their response for doing that.

8. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go see the landowner in person.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say a lot of folks are stating this, but try at minimum to read the person by their property layout or home appearance in how warm welcoming they might be.

To add to my note, I've even said I will attempt to swing out in person in a couple weeks to chat face to face and answer any questions they might have for me before a decision is reached. All about trying to figure out what will be best received. I love the letter with a follow up visit warning included, best of both approaches and avoids being pushy or intrusive.

10. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've went the letter route and have gotten responses.

My thinking is people are always busy, whether that's working or doing stuff around the house on the weekend. So when they do get time to relax or do chores, I don't want to be disturbing them.

This way isn't avoiding face to face because I make it very clear that I don't expect them to give me permission through a letter. All I ask is for an opportunity to speak with them face to face about hunting permission. So if they say to come over, I'll most likely get permission.

I try to keep it short and sweet, but I haven't thought about putting another envelope in for return. I'll start doing that from now on.