When shooting from a treestand aim a lil high

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tacticaltaylor, Sep 21, 2016.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly field tips will carry enough cutting diameter to not slip through the void.... :lol:

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah but you can't get a cool sticker to put on the window when you buy field tips.

3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tacklebox, thanks for the reply.

4. w33kender

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, coveymaster. I do in fact have an elevated shooting platform in the yard and I practice with a 3D target.

I'm sorry if my new guy questions offended you. Not my intent. Have a great day.

5. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There have been some good points here but I honestly and ultimately feel it comes down to the anatomy of the deer no matter if your in a treestand or from the ground. This video is very informative of that and should help with your dos and donts good luck Deer Anatomy - YouTube

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As he so often does. lmao

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone thinks a deer is "ducking the arrow" when it hears the sudden sound of a released arrow, all that deer is doing is "loading" it's hind quarters for a quick departure out of there. It's just another instinct they have.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum new guy.
    Haha, no, absolutely nothing about your post offended or irritated me, not sure how that impression was left. I just think there's no substitute for comprehensive practice. Outside advice in matters of aiming and shooting often have as much likelihood to cause problems as it does to resolve them. Some advice is good or bad but a lot can be both depending on the situation. In most cases practice will let a person sort it out themselves and that's reliable. If they can't sort it out then that may be a good hint that they're just not cut out to be putting themselves in a position to potentially wound an animal they may never find.

9. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Without a doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's correct, and in loading those muscles they are dropping down as much as a foot or more in a split second. Hence the "ducking the arrow" comments. I've actually only had one doe do that to me. She was a little on edge, and she dropped a solid foot and I shot right over her back. I thought a made a bad shot until I rolled back my footage and marked my aiming point. I hit right where I aim, she just wasn't there by the time my arrow got there.

11. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    happened to me too....they are extremely faster than you think they are

12. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ducked me too, that's ok killed her then the next night. Aimed in armpit to avoid the ducking motion. Not lungs this time

13. w33kender

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate your insight on practice. I'm trying to maintain an every day shooting routine from elevated platform on a glendel deer. We've got some nice bucks on camera and the last thing in the world I would ever want to do is wound and lose one of those.

14. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The first 4 deer I shot with a bow I spined. Why? I aimed too high. I didn't compensate for the angle. I practiced shooting from a tree stand this year. I shot very steep angles. And I learned to aim low if the angle is steep. I double lunged this doe Saturday night...goes to show-aim low. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1474988129.095492.jpg

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^

16. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what a great way to remember where to aim !!

17. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't aim low, aim the middle behind the shoulder. youll hit him in the heart, and ther will not be blood to track him, or you'll hit him in the liver and he won't expire till the next day or your arrow will fly below his body and that be a miss depending on the wind.

18. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest I've harvest most of my deer at wher I aim my pin at. There arrowed where I aimed. And yes I've shot deer 18 feet high. All that deer ducking isnt the deer. Its just you or the way you've sight your bow. You look at a lot of deer hunting videos. If u look carefully when they crouch the tip of the broadhead is in the deer. Just like when someone tries to poke you a needle for example. You jump up.

19. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Say what u want I still disagree. 27 yds is far enouph to react to the sound. Without the " needle" poking them. You ever hear how loud an arrow is actually when u actually not the shooter and just a witness ?

20. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This reminds me of a time many years ago. There was this guy at work. He was in his 30s. He wasn't a very good hunter. He went out year after year but never got a deer. All the guys laughed at him behind his back. I felt sorry for him and decided to take him under my wing to help him out. I soon realized how little he knew about hunting. I took him scouting with me to teach him what to look for. We were looking at a deer trail with lots of tracks. On a hunch I decided to test him and see how much he really knew. I pointed to a deer track in the mud and ask him which way the deer was going. He looked at it a little bit and sheepishly pointed the opposite way. I knew right there, all the jokes about this guy were true. Others had hunted with him and refused to hunt with him again.
    Anyway, I had several awesome places to hunt at that time (1998). He killed his first deer with a bow from my stand in WV. I basically did everything but squeeze the trigger on the release. That was ok, he got his deer (small spike).
    Next was rifle season in PA. I had taken my buck earlier in archery season, so I decided to take him to my spot and help him fill a tag for the rifle opener.
    We were set up at day break, when a small buck (4 point ) came walking slowly down the trail. It was stopping and nibbling as it came, completely unaware of our presence. It was close, only about 40yds. It was walking directly towards us. To my surprise, he fired at the buck. It took off running down the hill with a large gash down its side. After it was out of sight, I looked at my buddy and ask, "Where did you aim?" He said, "Behind the shoulder."
    I couldn't believe it. He was that stupid. We tracked the buck and he was able to finish it off with another shot.
    Needless to say, I don't hunt with him anymore.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016