***The F8ful 8 - Team 8***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by drath, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For my early season, most of my hunts are not that long, depending on the temps. I'm usually in the stand an hour before sunrise and will only sit until 9am. As far as the evening sits go, I'll get in 2 to 3 hours before sunset. As far as preference of evening or morning hunts, that's up to the hunter. Some areas are better suited for morning activity while others seem better in the evening. This is where trail cameras prove invaluable.
    I usually bring a grunt call, water, power bar, knife, rope to pull my gear up, screw in step to hang bow and pack, saw, rachet pruners, and a card reader in case I'm pulling a trail camera. Hope this helps.

2. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    3 life lines made up today, 1 installed and a quick card check. Not a ton of activity on the cameras, but I did finally get a giant! Honestly, I'll shoot anything 2.5+. But boy does it give you some motivation to get a big boy on the camera!

[​IMG]

3. twmessmer

twmessmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good looking deer ghilie. Best of luck to u.

4. twmessmer

twmessmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I decided to binge watch Bhod again and season 1 has rediculous quality of video compared to the last few seasons lol. Im happy they really started to take it serious. I can't wait for Oct 1.

5. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, just checking back in. Haven't had much time yet to get out and do some scouting but I know pretty much where I'll be this year. It's also way too hot this weekend for the opener - highs in the 90's I think. Its looking like I should be out by the week of the 18th at the latest. Can't wait for some cool weather.

6. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. How big is your cousin's greenhouse. I'm putting together a team of folks to write a grant to build aquaponics greenhouses to feed the hungry in St. Louis and in Mozambique. I'll actually be touring some greenhouses and getting price per foot info this Thursday evening.
    I never hear anyone talking about aquaponics greenhouses and here is this guy on the same bowhunting team who has a cousin who owns one. Weird!

-D

7. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know I'm not on your team but I'm good friends with Shedding Light Travis so im really pulling for you guys to win it if team 27 doesn't lol! I refuse to hunt mornings until pre rut late October. I've messed up really good spots because I've bumped too many deer in the morning. They become alert to your presence then move to another area. If you bump deer in the morning pre rut/rut there is a lot of forgiveness there because the bucks are thinking about something other than you. If your spot is a good morning spot based off of camera photos imagine how great it will be during the rut. I'd find a spot for a good afternoon/evening stand and hunt that. I would not go in early season and do a morning hunt even if I had 180 class deer coming in on camera in the mornings. There's just too high of a chance that he's already in that area when you are on your way to the stand. Others may have had success hunting mornings early season, I'm just sharing with you my own personal experience.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  8. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

Just got back from my archery antelope hunt. No shots taken, but it was a very cool experience. Now all my focus goes to deer, which opens September 24.

9. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of early season of BHOD. It is really awesome to see how far the show has come. I remember finding the show in season 2 when I was in college. Mid morning after classes on Friday, I would watch the weekly episode. Without fail it would always get me pumped and motivated to drive back home that afternoon to hunt for the weekend.

As for hunting mornings. I think entrance/exit routes are number one priority no matter what time of day you hunt. One of my old spots on state land was a pure morning spot. I think I saw deer there on 11 or 12 consecutive sits. The deer would move parallel to this marshy creek and my entrance was 90 degrees perpendicular to this creek. Meaning I could get in and out without ever crossing the path the deer were coming from or going to.

With that said. My advise would be go hang a stand where you are getting morning pictures and make your best educated guess on where the deer are coming and going. Hunt that stand and if you are right pat yourself on the back. If the deer are coming and going in a way you didn't predict, then correct and improve your stand and entrance/exit.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  10. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pre-weekend bump. One more week until the opener!

11. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

Pulled half my cards today, and am grabbing the other half tomorrow. I've only captured one shooter so far, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

[​IMG]

12. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1473526836.626534.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1473526883.425885.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1473527002.743003.jpg

The biggest ones so far on my little property. Excited for the morning of the 24th!

I put out two cams at the dairy farm I just acquired. It has huge potential. There's a big clump of oak trees which also a travel pinch point. Could be sweet.

13. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jeez you guys are chasing some great bucks! Totally envious of both of those giants in daytime too!

14. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the video of my buddy and I frog gigging the other night. I'd like to claim that I'm the one using the recurve but that would be a lie. He's pretty deadly. I, on the other hand, am not. Think I could convince Fitz to give me 5 points for each from we got? Haha! Froggin With a Recurve - YouTube

15. jimmy102

jimmy102 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys thanks for getting everything figured out and taken care of! Like the name and graphics. I've been on vacation for the past few weeks with the family. I'll be checking in more often now. Our season opens the 17th, I'm a little behind in my prep this year but I'll keep you all updated as I get some stand time.

16. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's up guys?! Got back from Colorado this weekend. Unfortunately no shots and sighting were at a minimum. Actually had one morning that three bulls were bugling compared to years past when they were bugling every day during the same week. Not sure if the elk in the area I was hunting were not quite ready for the rut. Couldn't find any wallows and only a few rubs. Even the guide was perplexed as to why they were not acting right. Hell of a great hunt, regardless.

Maryland season opened up on the 9th and ready to get after whitetails and sikas.

17. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Cupcake.... :biggrin:

18. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhh hi snookums

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Bulls were certainly behind compared to last year