Muddy outdoors

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by marcuswagner12, Sep 8, 2016.

1. marcuswagner12

marcuswagner12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If I Remember correctly didn't Muddy copy someone's design back about a year ago? Now look at their new blinds.. They are close duplicate to the rednecks. I see they make a bale blind that's very similar as well.. I find it hard to give a company like that my business..

2. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most of their lines are like that but some times at the fraction of the cost. Depends if you want to pony up the cash for the more expensive items.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately, Muddy really isn't Muddy any more. They were purchased by Mainstream Holdings which is the parent company of Big Game Treestands. I have quite a bit of Muddy products, most of which were pre-sell out. They certainly frustrate me because once upon a time, they were one of the better options.

4. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have one Muddy lock on that I bought on clearance and really like it.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The new muddy products since the sale aren't in the same league as the originals. The are totally off my radar at this point. Same with big game ...

6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They are notorious for doing that.

Look at their new cameras... Damn near identical to the Browning (just different color).

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm curious how the conversations go when they're "designing" their products.

I picture someone coming into the meeting room with a competitor's catalog, throwing it on the table and saying "I want you to copy exactly what they're doing and put our logo on it" and then walking out.

9. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Close, most do it a little nicer than that!

Last design I had stolen, they actually purchased the product ............ $ in my pocket and they get a 3D model rather than a picture. I might not have shared that a patent had been filed, but I will eventually :tu:

I get that not everything can or should be patented but without one, everything is fair game. While I try to create my own designs for everything that I build, there are a lot of companies that wait for the next big design that they can take....... not just hunting related companies.

Do you guys knock all of them or just the hunting related ones?

10. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Muddy sponsors a pretty bad fast sprint car ;)

But, isn't making products close to others what competition does? Sell them cheaper to try and get more buyers? I know they aren't the only ones who do things of the sort.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Just *some* of the hunting related ones. We love our Ozark Trail tumblers that cost 1/4 of what the Yetis cost. Nobody is blasting Wal-Mart for it. :tu:

Speaking for myself I can appreciate when someone takes an existing design, copies it and then in some way, shape or form tries to improve on it. Whether it's a little bit lighter, stronger, longer, etc. Some sort of differentiation is commendable. When you take a unique design and rip it off verbatim with the exception of the color and the logo that's a bit lame.

The thing with Muddy is that it's not just a single product they're doing this with - it's almost their entire line. Their treestand accessories are Hawk rip-offs. Their blinds are Redneck rip-offs. Their harnesses are Hunter Safety System rip-offs. Their cameras are Browning rip-offs.

It is a bit sad to see a company that at one time was an innovator turn into this.

But hey, to each their own!

12. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my ozark trails tumbler! :tu:

13. Bmiller23

Bmiller23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had anything nice to say about muddy even before the big game but out. I bought 7 of their outfitter stands to phase out some old ones I had on the farm and after a month in the woods the seat adjuster rusted stiff and wouldn't move on every single one. I called and talked to a "tech" they said and told me to use WD-40 on them.... Yea that won't blow all my deer out,I'm sorry have they ever hunted before, I asked if he was kidding and he said no why? And then got an attitude. Keep up the good work Muddy!

14. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe one of the Redneck guys mentioned the copied design on the Hawk post.

If you haven't looked through magazines or browsed the web, they have copied their whole line from someone else. I really don't know how someone could give them business. There's so many other legit companies to choose from.

15. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

In my world that would be Strike King. I do try to avoid doing business with any company that does take others designs but I don't limit that to just hunting or fishing.

With the way patent laws are now, there are worse things than just copying a design though. Now days, a company can steal your design and patent it as their own to keep the inventor from producing it.

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    We get to thank lawyers for that one. Of course they're controlled by corporations who control the politicians that make the laws so I guess they're all to blame.

I'm sitting down for the national anthem (on my couch) to protest! :usa:

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've put WD-40 on treestand locks, ratchets, carabiners, treestand seat adjustment screws, and other various parts and pieces that I leave in and around my stands. To the best of my knowledge it's never affected me getting a shot at a deer.

Sometimes I think we give deer entirely too much credit in their ability to reason as if they were human beings. If deer associated every non-natural smell with danger and death they'd be paralyzed and never get out of their bed - or they'd never stop running until they dropped over dead from exhaustion. :lol:

18. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shame about Muddy selling out...I had bought I think 5-6 of their hang ons and they were quality...I liked that you could get replacement straps every 3 years as well, but of course they go sell out and basically become big game. Their hay bale blind is no where near the quality of Rednecks

I had already completely written Muddy off, but now this copycat crap is ridiculous

I do like the Hawk accessories and the appearance of their stands...I just wish hawk used a two strap system on their hang-ons...I like having the extra security. Well I guess there Xplor does...I might look into them when I need a new stand.

19. Bmiller23

Bmiller23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I understand your point but I get really paranoid about scent and even though I know in the back of my mind it probly wouldn't hurt anything I just can't bring my self to take the chance... Lol

20. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kind of like XOP & lone wolf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk