***November Reign - Team 17***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by 1jody256, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks FEB, they don't let you do any sex with the buck tag?

2. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, it's a buck only tag. All years prior, a doe tag was always included, I just assumed they still did. At $160, not sure I would have bought it, but too late now. This area has been hurting for years, guess they're finally limiting the doe harvest, which is a good thing.
    Oh well, I'll still get some early tree-time, do some fishin, and maybe I'll get lucky on a deep woods bruiser.

3. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The new system is different than years past, but as a resident in favor of doing things in a more scientific manner than recent years, I love it.

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice! That's where I bought my Hoyt. ALL of their techs are top notch, and they have a great selection of bows.

On a side note to Holt. If that buck was on land I could hunt, I would honestly take the last week of Oct through the second week of Nov (3 weeks) off from my job to try to kill him! I could actually get away with that, because I work for a couple of good guys who know my passion.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would take the first week or 2 of the season off. They're still on summer pattern, and I'd kill him before someone else does or that buck decides to start traveling!

6. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I'm all for it. I wish illinois would start limiting the doe harvest. We can take as many as you want to pay for here. We don't see nearly as many deer as in the past.
    It's not unusual to sit all day and not see a deer.

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love hunting early season! I shot more bucks in September by 10 fold over November. I have never been a fan of the rut, its too random. I love playing the early season chess match! The one thing I do love about the rut is the random bucks that show. My largest buck to date was a random that just happen to run thru my pinch point that day. Here is one of my little secrets, On opening day of duck season I go deer hunting, instead of going and hanging out with buddies in the blind. They push all the big bucks out of the cattail marsh and I'm set up some where close by. Works a lot more then you think!

8. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My zone gives away three antlerless tags per license... This is what should have been done instead of however many years of Earn a Buck (even though I was not against it). Guys who want to do the right thing from a management standpoint will and those that don't won't.

9. early in

Dislikes Received:
    This is the way to go if you're pretty sure of where he'll be coming out at a given spot/time. This kind of makes it a morning or evening thing though, that's why I'd hunt him while he's running the local ladies around all day long. Plus, I just love the rut. Either way, I'd like to see our team member put his tag on that one!

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alright I'm heading out this evening to watch the field again for that buck. The wind and temp is completely different then last time I was out, but it will be the same as opening day. So hopefully I can catch him moving tonight so I can make a better guess to were to hunt friday. I will keep you guys posted if I see him tonight and I will video it all again tonight.

11. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you watching it from? Not sure i'd wear out the stand too much before Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No I never sit my stands, I will be watching from about 200 yards away. Almost impossible for the deer to see or smell me.

13. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect. Hope you catch another glimpse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just got my bow back from getting re strung. Busted 2 knocks at 40 (max yardage at indoor range) so I'd say I'm dialed in. Was putzing around and couldn't resist picking up 2 packs of Spitfire Double Crosses. Hopefully I'll be posting a review and trophy shots by Monday evening!

Also, my buddy pulled some pics a couple weeks back for the property we hunt (and neighbor emailed some of his pics.)...Dark pic is from the WI property I'll be hunting; the Bach group is from the neighbor's...Sorry I don't know how to enlarge them.

image.jpg
    I'd say he's looking 130ish. If I get the chance opening weekend I'm almost assuredly going to take him.

image.jpg
    Big Boy is looking 140+. Only an 8 but the G2s are over 12".

Trying another view
    image.jpg

I have several cameras up there that he wasn't able to pull and are prob dead by now. I may be able to sneak up there Monday and pull the pics and replace batteries to get the final patterns down before opening day.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He just came out with 30 minutes of light left! He is still full velvet, and came out only 75 yards or so with in the same area.

16. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you have him zeroed, that's awesome! I saw a few bucks on a local farm yesterday that were all hard antlered. How cool would it be for you to kill THAT buck in velvet? This whole thing is going to be fun to follow.

17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got to watch him for about 5 minutes before he went over the hill. Got a little more video, but could only see the rack above the hill. Here is a 9 pt that is running in the group, not a bad buck!

Attached Files:

18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Doodles I really like that 8pt, is that a buck your going after?

19. early in

Dislikes Received:
    The 17th is coming quickly! I'm going to hunt dark to dark opening day, which is something I have never done before. I usually don't want to get involved with the opening day guys, but this season I have a good buck on cam before season, so I have a reason to be there from the very start. I have to post this again, because it's one of my best buck pics. haha

Attached Files:

20. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He......Is......Yours................ (no pressure though) ;)

Some nice prospects there Noodles!