Property Help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Parkerg31, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Parkerg31

Parkerg31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pg map.jpg

I recently gained access to my girlfriends property to hunt this year. Attached is a map, the problem is im having trouble finding deer. There is tons of tracks and one scrape. I have captured one doe on each camera. Camera two is put right under a massive oak with past old tracks. Any input on where to start is great. To the right of the trail it slopes sharp downhill until the trees turn brown.

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What type of trail is it? deer trail, walking trail ATV trail?

I would look maybe 10 yards to either side of that main trail to look for a deer trail. Deer like an easy path but they also like cover and will often parallel other paths in the woods.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd start with identifying water sources and ford sources in the area, you'll find the deer.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Start baiting ASAP if your allowed. If you bait it they will come.

5. Parkerg31

Dislikes Received:
    Walking and ATV. It's big enough that we got a small tractor through It to bush hog the plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nailed it!

7. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    What I recommend is that you find a junction where multiple trails meet. This is where you should see the most action, if a water source or food source isn't available. if this land is already hunted by others, then you "should" speak with them about where to hunt. they may have already staked a claim on a particular tree or something and could create tension between all parties. but they may tell you to hunt in their stands. this could be the best outcome. good luck and don't piss off the girlfriend.

Perhaps buy her a promise ring until the season is over. if you don't see any deer take the ring back and find a new girlfriend with better hunting ground. repeat process until you start killing deer.

8. Parkerg31

Dislikes Received:
    hahahaha I like the ring idea, maybe she will buy a few deer and put them there for me. But, luckily the only person that hunted there was her grandfather who passed away four years ago. The old food plots were grown up taller than me with baby pines. It took a day of bush hogging and chain sawing to clear it, so i'm the only hunter and there's been no pressure for all that time.

9. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    well it sounds like you've covered everything. you may not be seeing deer much now because they are all hiding in corn fields or near other food sources. once the corn is out, presuming there is corn nearby, the deer could return.