***The F8ful 8 - Team 8***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by drath, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hammer, I think the Impulse 31 is my next bow. A little shorter and a little more speed than the Energy.

Congrats boof on getting on the pro staff! The PSE bowmadness XS was my last bow, and a sweet one at that.

Edit: Mixed up the Synergy with Impulse.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot this past weekend for the first time since Spring Turkey season and had a good couple of days. I was consistently hitting one inch dots out to 30. I'll start moving out to 40-60 to make those 20yd shots look easy. It was nice to pick up the bow after that much time off and jump straight into mid season form.

-D

3. Z7hunter

Z7hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting an Obsession Defcon 6 this year, really do like it and is shooting great for me.

4. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a pretty cool video of my buddy in our group with his recurve earlier this summer. I told him not to shoot my cell phone! The phone falling like it does was unplanned but a pretty cool shot I thought.

Shedding Light Outdoors - Timeline | Facebook

5. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool video Shedding! I like to break out my recurve from time to time and shoot small game with it. It can really be a blast.

6. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was finally able to pull my bow back last night. I'm very excited! I haven't touched it in over a month, since separating my shoulder. Only took a month to heal...well not completely but I'm good to go for Colorado. Leave in 4 days. Wooohooo!!!

7. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Hammer, keep us updated!

Pulled stands, today, from a spot that never panned out last season. Trail cam check tomorrow. Counting down the days!

8. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty uneventful camera pull. It seems like there is definitely a shift towards those fall patterns starting. Hung a stand in a new location with lots of promise. Also ordered a ton of rope to make some DIY life lines for all my stands. I've wanted to do this for awhile but never got around to it.

9. twmessmer

twmessmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How hard is it to make one of those ghilie. I thought about doing it myself. My last camera pull was a flop as well. A coon broke a limb that covered my best camera for the whole month. My other camera only got does.

10. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fairly easy and cheap actually. You need 25-30ft of decent climbing rope per life line, depending on how high you hang your stands. There is some 12mm x 50ft of static line on ebay for 35 bucks right now. Instead of me typing the whole process out, these videos should get you started in the right direction.

How To: Make A Lifeline with a Prusik Knot - YouTube
    DIY: How to Make A Treestand Safety Line - YouTube

11. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have a good 3-Day weekend everyone (shameless bump to get the team 8 thread back on the first page). :lol:

12. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    Double Bump! I'm gonna do something I haven't done in years Sunday night. Frog Giggin! My wife's cousin owns an aquaponics greenhouse and they get their fish from a guy who owns a bunch of ponds. He asked us to gig it because it's overrun with giant bullfrogs. The cousin said he hugged for 30 minutes one day last week and caught 50 frogs. I might have to video this!

Have a good weekend!

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can finally answer the question asked a page or two back :lol:

I'll be using a Ridge Point Invader G3 crossbow.

License renewal was granted amd received it in the mail today. Was starting to sweat it being 29 days from season opener, wasn't leaving me much time to figure out what I could comfortably shoot.

14. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    What do you do with the frogs? Eat them, I'm guessing but is there a certain way you cook them?

15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fry them like chicken pretty much. Just eat the rear legs or saddles as they call them.

Been years since I have had them

16. twmessmer

twmessmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Frog gigging is great. I've got some ponds that I can go out and get about 40 or so in. Always a good time drinking a few beers with the boys and sticking some frogs. We tell our wife's it's frog camp. Aka just an excuse to get away from the woman and drink beer.

17. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't say I have ever had the opportunity to try frog. But I would not pass it up if offered. Good luck (if luck is needed with frogs?) Shedding! Lol

Congrats on the renewal CLS!

18. Bcowg

Bcowg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Bow season here in Missouri is less than two weeks away. Had I couple questions I was hoping you could help me with. Early season would you go out morning and evening or is one better than the other. If morning how early? How long should you stay in the stand for one sit? And last question is what do you guys bring in your day bag for a hunt?

19. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    I've had them several ways. First you just cut off the back legs. The skin peels off like a banana. I've had them fried in a pan and beer battered. Tastes like fishy chicken really. A little slimy. So we tried rolling them in flour and dropping them in the deep fryer....that is the way to do it. Crispy and delicious.

And this might sound stupid but gigging does get your heart pumpin a little. It's dark. You've got a spear in your hand. You sneak up to the edge of a pond in the dark. As you get closer the bullfrogs sound amplifies. Just as you get to the edge you click on your mag light. You trace the beam up and down the bank and then...eyes. Golden eyes. They are fixated on your light. It's a bullfrog and his body is the size of your foot. So you step closer and softly. If he gets a vibration from a cattail he's gone. Your beam goes out of his eyes...he's gone. You inch closer and get right to the edge. You raise the spear and hope to hit him right behind the head. You bring the spear down with a quick motion and it plunges into the water and then the mud. You hope that sucker is on there as you slowly pull it up out of the muck. It takes a minute for the mud to stop dripping and there, stuck on the end of your spear, is a frog bigger than most people know exist. You put him in your potato sack and start looking for more.

Yea. It's kind of like that.

20. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    Made it to town. Did a little scouting and sight seeing. Even did a 2.5 mile.

Attached Files: