Scent Blocker

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Wisconsin22, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Wisconsin22

Wisconsin22 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,
    This is going to be my first year bow hunting for whitetail.
    Curious what your opinions are are scent free clothing.
    Obviously the prices on new scent blocker clothing are not cheap.
    Is wearing a base layer of scent blocker clothing enough?
    Or do you think you need all of your clothes to be made of scent blocker?
    Is washing your clothes in scent free detergent and than spraying with scent free spray enough?
    I will be hunting on public land out of a tree stand.
    Thanks for your help!

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's a waste of money. (jmo) Hunt high, hunt with the right wind direction according to local deer habits, and put that money towards other things you need/want.

3. bigEhaw

bigEhaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone's opinion is different, but letting out as little scent as possible is definitely a good idea. If you were going to buy Scent Blocker they are having a 50% off everything online, so it's not as expensive as usual. Scent Lok is having some sales too, now is a good time to buy if you are going to.

4. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if it works or not. I like having the confidence that it is working and that I am making an extra effort towards eliminating my scent.

5. WISCONSINBUCKHUNTER

WISCONSINBUCKHUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like they said, it's all personal preference. It's defiantly not cheap to get into for sure, hunting high and with the wind may be your best bet. Not sure on how much you want to spend, I see you must be from WI? We are hosting the annual Scent Blocker garage sell in Cannon Falls MN this year. All suits will be over half off and helps guys get into a new suit without having to spend and arm and a leg! Just throwing it out there, it'll be worth the drive!!

6. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a believer, as far as I know I was never winded last year. I always play the wind of course even with it just in case but deer come from everywhere a few places I hunt and it never seemed to make a difference. I also use the scent free soap on the cloths and in the shower before I go out. Don't dress until you are at your property and spray down with scent killer vigorously.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At 50% off, it's a great deal on quality built hunting camo. I'm not necessarily a Scent Blocker fan, but at half price, it's a heck of a deal for quality built camo that will last several seasons.

8. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. bigEhaw

bigEhaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
  10. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  11. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe in minimizing my scent. Over 50 years of hunting and I think it helps. Probably no way to eliminate scent 100% but reducing it can be a help. I use scetn reducing clothes base layers under my other layers of clothes. How many layers depends on the weather but all layers are washed it scent free detergent and line dried then stored in an airtight tote. I change into my hunting clothes at my truck just prior to going into the woods.

12. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting upwind deer is easy. Its not cheap or simple, but can be well worth it if you don't want to limit yourself. I shoot downwind deer every year.

13. Steve Daniel

Steve Daniel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not completely sold on the Blockers. The expensive scent blockers work very little better than the less expensive sprays you buy at Walmart. I confess that I do spray with one before I hike into the woods. I put on a pair of tall rubber boots, spray them well, and my hunting pants.

Quick story... Several years ago a hunting buddy decided Deer Urine would work for him. He sprayed it on his hunting clothes and stunk. When he got to his stand he still thought it might work, until it warmed up about 10:00. Yellow Jackets were attracted to the smell, they really got after him. He dropped his rifle battling the bees, broke a Nikon scope.
    DON'T BE LIKE JIM.
    When he got home, his wife wouldn't let him bring the stinky (pissy) clothes in the house to wash them. Neighbors saw him hosing them down in their driveway. I missed seeing that.

14. Kplow23

Kplow23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just starting out, I would play the wind and use dead down wind scent spray!

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have spare lumber and a corner your not using you can make a scent closet.
    My brother framed out two walls in the corner then used plastic to contain the area. A cheap Ozone producer later and BAM scentfree locker. I still spray down and play the wind but I like to think it gives me a few more steps of the target before spooking.

16. Halonhunter

Halonhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be the first year I can buy scent control camo. I have always had good luck with a large plastic tub with 1 earth scent wafer clothespinned to the inside of the lid. I throw all my gear harness and all in there. Throw it on the truck in the morning and get dressed before I go into the woods. Spray down with scent killer and rub evercalm on the bottom of my boots.