***Nock 'Em and Drop 'EM - Team 12***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by SuperKirby, Aug 15, 2016.

1. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    can't move pic to here. it is the final one that you cleaned up on post #170.

2. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    better get him before the rut or he will be gone. mid October is the best time to kill your giant if you don't the first week. scrape phase is the best a week before Halloween. during the rut that buck will no longer be predictable. whack him then we won't worry about it. if you know he is there then stay out until you have to hang your stand or hunt. pressure it too early and you will never see him.

3. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This makes me wonder - I haven't hunted the rut before. Or the scrape phase or the October lull or any of that. My hunting experience with whitetails is limited to basically the first two weeks of November, after most of bow season, after firearms season, where a good season I'll see a couple does and maybe a buck.
    How much different should I expect it to be? What are your experiences as far as deer movement and all that? From the stories I've heard it sounds like I should go out and as long as I'm sitting somewhere close to a travel corridor I'm going to see deer moving all the time and the closer to late October/early November it gets the more random bucks are going to pop up out of nowhere. Is it really this good?

4. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    To make it a little easier vote for Logo 1, Logo 2, or Logo 3.

Logo 1
    Logo 1.jpg

Logo 2
    Logo 2.jpg

Logo 3
    11047-002.02D.jpg

And down here I'll keep a tally

Votes:
    Logo 1

Logo 2

Logo 3

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  5. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll explain how I hunt a deer season. You'll probably get all different answers which is nice so you'll have a ton of info to see what works best for you. I'm not a fan of hunting right when the season opens unless a cold front moves in. If the temp drops 15 degrees from what it has been I will definitely hunt and I always hunt on food. Preferably the greenest beans I can find. If they are yellow I'll find acorns that are dropping or a food plot but I always hunt food early season if I hunt early. I never hunt mornings in the early season cause I feel you have to hunt deep in the woods to catch them going back to bed and I don't want to blow out every deer in the woods that early with 3 months to go in the season. I normally start hunting around the 25 of October no matter what the weather is. From there until Thanksgiving I'm hunting hard morning and afternoon. Mornings will be on corridors and afternoons still on food. About November 5 to 10 I try to hunt near doe bedding areas and I try to stay in the stand all day or at least until 1 go back to the caving get a quick bite and then head right back out. After Thanksgiving I consider that late season and I take the same approach as I do early season. Only hunt the afternoons and only on food. If a front is moving in and its going to be cold corn stubble has always worked. I would love to have a couple of acres of standing beans at this time but I know the farmer needs to make money lol. This is my approach, that has worked for me over the years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6. BukFvr21

Dislikes Received:
    I will add if you are getting a shooter in daylight that trumps anything

7. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:

My plan going into the season is to only hunt afternoons for sure until about mid October, and in September and the first week or so of October only when I cold front comes through. From my buddy that's been bowhunting the farm for a few years the activity really goes up the last two weeks of October through firearms opener in November. Firearms season pretty much ruins hunting for the rest of November and then back to hunting afternoons over food plots and food sources for December.
    What I'm really curious about is how much more activity I'll see before firearms season vs what I'm used to seeing in December?

8. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job superkirby I like the 2nd attempt best. I went to my cabin for a quick over night trip to check stands and food plots and they're looking awesome. I didn't have time to check my cameras so I just left them alone I'll most likely check them opening weekend (sept 17th). However I leave the 18th for a trip to Florida to do some deep sea fishing I'll post some pics then back to Wisconsin with hopefully a game plan and a few hit list bucks. I know the deer are there just need to decide what bucks I'll be chasing.

9. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up with a few too many versions so not sure which one you're talking about. From a couple posts above are you wanting to vote for 1, 2, or 3? Let me know and I'll get your vote down.

10. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I vote for 2 also hunting early season and the rut is so different then the later season and way more exciting you will defiantly see a lot more deer if you use travel areas before night time in the early season to see the deer moving from bed to food before tucking in for the night

11. BukFvr21

Dislikes Received:
    My vote is two too

12. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two is the one I vote for

13. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    well I hope in a few weeks we will have a deer on the ground for some points guys, this is the last year I am using my families ladder stand set ups I am starting to use hang-ons as of this summer due to the gun railings being so inconvenient for shooting lanes, also it will keep my shot gun hunters in my family out of my stands.

14. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    Well tried to connect my forum with Facebook now can't access the forum on my computer only my phone.... Damn

15. BukFvr21

Dislikes Received:
    VimeUhOh

16. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven't been as active lately guys just found out that this weekend a high school buddy of mine was out fishing in Southeast Minnesota and his canoe flipped he got caught on something in the water and drowned he was 20 years old just a reminder to everyone to be safe out there weather it's in a tree or a boat stay safe so you can see you families the next day. Bless all of you guys I feel like this competition will help a lot of people on this forum come together and become friends especially if they are in your area.

17. BukFvr21

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that about your friend man. Hate to hear that. Hang in there.

18. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    sorry for your loss. it's never easy.

19. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss man.

20. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it. You'll get there. Nice shooting.