Morning hunts

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JesseHunts, Aug 25, 2016.

1. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alrighty guys so I am trying to get my girlfriend in the woods this year she is quite interested in hunting. only problem is I cant get her out of bed in the morning, any advice that i could give her to help get her up earlier.

2. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Haha I gave up with my wife she sticks with afternoon hunts the twice a year she goes....

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

3. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hunt mornings until Halloween-ish, anyway. I'll take my fiancé and/or kids out for evening sits the first few week, if they want to go. It's usually out of their system pretty quick and I can focus on the rut as a solo hunter (just how I like it!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Give her some "incentive".

5. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    But in all seriousness I know personally if I have to wake up super early to do something I really don't have to do, as long as I can get my feet on the floor and set the coffee timer to be ready then I'm good. Just get up a little before she does and have a cup of coffee ready and be persistent

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Why force her to go on a morning hunt? Start off with a few evening hunts and when she begins to get the hang of things and enjoy it she'll want to get up for the morning hunt on her own.

7. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why would you want to bring her in the woods with you? :confused:

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't bother making her go for morning hunts until she tells you she want's to go in the morning. Take her out on some evening hunts. She'll let you know if she's into it enough to start to get serious or if she is just there to appease you.

My wife's not that into it. She'll come sit in my tower blind with me during gun season, but she's not into hunting enough to sit out in the cold for one. I'm OK with that, it gives me some quality alone time.

9. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like others said, don't make her go in the morning or she will most likely loose interest pretty quick. Do evening hunts when she asks to go and you will be good to go. It's different than taking a child for the first time, you have to make it fun and enjoyable.

10. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you do get her up make sure you add time to the getting ready clock because i guarantee she will be slower than you, speaking from personal experience!

11. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    im not forcing her to go in the morning she told me she wants to go int morning and I said "thats fine but you should start waking up a little earlier so it isnt so ahrd when season comes around" and yeah its not working so much so im thinking of just bringing her on afternoons.

12. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    she also gets dressed pretty quickly and has been shooting her bow every chance she gets but she hates the cold so the early season and maybe early rut ( but id rather be solo for this) is about all im going to get out of her probably.

13. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This.

14. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you can get into your stand on time let her stroll into the woods later. She might enjoy it more if she's not pushed and eventually she'll figure out that she'll have to be in the woods early to have success. People say not to hunt mornings during the early season but I kill 90% of my deer on early season morning hunts.

15. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    my advice would be show her deer coming through in the morning on trail cameras, if they are coming through in the morning on the camera that gets the blood flowing and makes it easier to get up!

16. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, when I was younger and just started out I loved my afternoon hunts but my dad would always tell me, "That will change, eventually you will like mornings better" especially during the rut.

Needless to say its true. For bigger more mature deer I think are still just as good in the mornings as you might catch him being 20 mins late going into bed. During early season I try to hunt near bedding areas and sit later or possibly even going in an hour late depending on the area I'm hunting. Some of my stands I've found that the deer don't get back to the bedding area until after 8:30 so sometimes i'll go in once its light out and then sit an hour longer than I usually would.

17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only get up early if I can kill something. Like the others said, get her interested in evening hunts and if she likes it enough, she'll want to start going in the morning. You have to think about what the benefit will be for her to get up early. We already know what the benefit is but you've gotta find what "gets her going". Or maybe she just isn't the morning hunter like you. Sometimes you also have to know what battle to fight.

18. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I don't get it.

19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I were in your shoes, I'd just stay in bed with her, and forget about hunting! lol

20. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2: hahahahaha get her outta bed early. Hahahahaha

Whoowww. Let me catch my breath. This needs to be moved to the joke of the day thread.

Seriously, though. If she's just getting into it. Start with evening hunts. She's got all morning to prep. She can get out there with you when it's still light. Get set up and relax with you. Not as scary or intimidating. Watch the sun go down and enjoy time with each other. Then once she's into it and comfortable. Introduce the dark walkin, woods coming to life, and the sunrise.