Musings of a beginner

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by wfowlks, Aug 22, 2016.

1. wfowlks

wfowlks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So this is my first season hunting and my first time really in archery with the compound bow. I currently have the PSE Beast EXT and its set to a 33" draw length. Initially the shop where I bought it set me up at 56# but showed me how to crank it up to the full 70#.

I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with:

Beside stroking my ego, and having an arrow that flies slightly straighter is there any reason to have my bow at the 70# instead of at the 56 that the shop set me up with (the bows range is 56-70)? Just playing around with it I currently have it at ~67#

And my second question is, I am currently using the Victory Vforce Sport 350 arrows (uncut). Is there a hunting reason to get a heavier arrow or lighter arrow, or should I just stick with the 350's.

I am also undecided on mechanical vs broadhead, I just worry about having enough KE for an ethical shot with the mechanical.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any and all help!

2. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can Help a little here.First, bows in my opinion perform the best at their full draw weight. Anything past 60# you should have enough KE to use a mechanical, me personally I like fixed blade. Why? because im a penetration freak. also the spine of your arrow should be fine usually 350 is recommended at a 60-70 draw weight (but you can find many charts online that should say the recommended arrow spine). Right now I shoot victory the small diameter shaft i believe they are the Victory Vap elite.166 they have yellow design on them, and they work amazing and I get amazing penetration on every target I shoot. I just got them about a month ago so I haven't hunted with them. Any other questions id be more than happy to help. If I can that is.

3. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's not always true anymore ! Bows are all real good killers at any draw weight without being maxed out as long as the shot good is a good spot ! That may have been somewhat true 15 years ago, but today's bow are made for better performance at lower poundage. I agree with all other info though !

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot at whatever draw weight you are comfortable shooting at. Today's bows do not have to be set at their top weight to perform at their best as they used to have to. I make it a habit to practice at at least 5 pounds more than I hunt at. I find that sitting in a cold tree for hours, makes it a little bit harder to draw on the spur of the moment. I am a fixed blade hunter. I have seen plenty of deer killed with mechanicals but I like a fixed blade for deer and definitely for elk. I only hunt turkeys with a mechanical though. Get out there. Shoot a bunch and mostly have fun!

5. wfowlks

wfowlks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! Thats a lot of good information.

thats a good point (pun not intended) which I didn't consider. How wide of a broadhead do you typically use? And do you find that it flies different than the fieldpoint?

Thats a good idea, something a-kin to practicing at 60 yards for 20-40 yrd hunting.

6. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    I guess what I was trying to say if you have 70 pound limbs they are meant to perform at top performance not saying that you will get less than satisfactory results from using a lower weight because heck I do it, but yes lower weights work perfectly well but in my personal opinion, and from my experience if you have 55lb limbs set at 55 they will perform better than 70 pound limbs set at 55lbs if that makes sense. Also not saying that you are any less or more likely to kill a deer at any specific weight. Thank you for your comment though I will probably look more into now.

7. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    my broadheads I shoot right now are the G5 Montecs (3 Blade), they usually fly about an inch high and a 1/8th of an inch right of my field tips at 30 yards. also I shoot the Slick Tricks (4 blade, i find them easier to tune) and they shoot exactly with my FP in elevation but slightly right aswell. The Montec is I believe a 1 inch cutting diameter and the Slick trick is I believe 1 inch all the way around but the slick trick magnums have a bigger cutting diameter at 1 1/8th" cutting diameter. hope that helps a bit.