Under Armour and the Bowmar Bear

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Aug 19, 2016.

1. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know I'm not spending another dime on there stuff. PATHETIC !!!! Anything to satisfy the masses and gain the almighty dollar

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Agreed BUT there still has to be some sort of principle and a belief in something besides the all mighty dollar.
    No more UA here.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Imo UA has always been overpriced, over hyped, and under performing.

4. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They probably don't realize that the people they're caving to are against ALL forms of hunting. Too bad, but I'm done with them.

5. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have only owned a few articles of their clothing. None of which I still own. I looked at their Ridge Reaper stuff but it's a bit much for me. Comparable to Sitka or First Lite in price. On one of his recent podcasts, Cam Hanes had one of the founders of UA as a guest. I think they are buddies so I doubt he will drop them. I imagine they will renege and people will go back to buying their stuff after a few weeks. But we'll see.

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sad very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I'm curious how the other big name people will react.

8. gran

gran Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There is another thread about this , plus one to sign a petition to UA expressing support for hunters. There are hundreds of antis calling for UA to drop all hunting sponsorships, along with threats against the hunter that speared the bear as well as his wife. Bowhunting has been targeted in particular. Many hunters have called this an unethical hunt and say this hunter is at fault. Some on this forum agree. I'm not one of those.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    But they were so friendly at ATA..... :evilgrin:

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Guys there was underlying issues with Sara. I haven't read the entire thread nor will I but this was just the last straw for UA and that relationship. Everyone is always so quick to judge. BTW I don't even like UA And all the other stupid **** surrounding it is ridiculous but from what I know this was simply the last straw in an already strained relationship. Move on. Businesses make decisions daily. When the drama becomes more than the return it's quite simple to part ways

11. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    You really expect other "big names" to react? What? Shockey and others should break their contracts that pay their bills over other people's drama. I doubt you see that. I get everyone's anger but let's be realistic

As already stated. Underlining issues... Continued problems .... Leading to petitions and otherwise eventually folks are better off parting ways. This isn't just about killing a bear with a spear from what I understand. It goes back further than that and this drama was simply a breaking point for UA. I could be wrong but pretty sure I'm not. Deep breathes folks. It's not always what it seems

12. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    And just to be clear. I don't even like UA. Just trying to play devils advocate here and even the scales for a company who clearly has dedicated millions to our industry. #firstliteorbust

13. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    A unicorn just died

14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not even angry. I am just curious to see if they make a statement on it or not. I'm not saying for them to breaks their contracts. Just if they are going to stay silent or voice their viewpoint.

15. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously what would they say? Speak out against their sponsor? Not likely. You won't here ****.

16. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Look Sara has been nothing but a thorn for awhile. I feel bad for him almost kinda caught in the crossfire but on social media etc she has been a PITA. I am not surprised at all they cut ties. It's a sad situation but IMO UA is better off without her.

17. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree business is business.. but they shouldnt have done it as soon as the tree humpers cried. Bad timing and leads me to believe they did it because of the outcry instead of other reasons.

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Playing Devil's Advocate and assuming what you say is true, they sure picked a horrible time and message to announce they were parting ways with her.

Additionally, when the heat from the anti's came they should have stood fast and supported their decision to legally kill a bear with a spear. Not throw them under the bus by calling their actions reckless, and in doing so calling in question the behavior of other hunters who legally choose a spear as their weapon. Their message was very clearly non-supportive of this type of hunting.

Regardless of how they may spin this story to blame her for this, the fact of the matter is they immediately responded to protests by anti-hunters to dismiss a member of their hunting team. Whether it was the first straw or last straw really makes no difference. They've shown that they will allow their decisions to be dictated to them by anti-hunters, which doesn't sit well with the hunting community at large.

I don't expect their sponsored "athletes" to say anything either. However it certainly calls into question their dedication towards protecting the entire sport that built them, not just the company that's currently paying them.

19. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    TJ, Why are you defending them so much? You have like 5 posts in 5 minutes. I think if you make three more post within the next two minutes repeating that there's underlying issues, everyone will get your point

20. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    It does look bad in that respect but as said its been an ongoing issue. I couldn't care less about UA and I think they folded like a bad hand but when things add up sometimes that's what happens. When you represent a company you better be damn well sure you have their backing and best interest at heart in everything you do. Sarah did not ... End of story. They did nothing wrong on the bear hunt. Sadly that was just the end of the line