Braodheads for mirco-shafts

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Clem, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So with my new bow came extra poundage and with that the need for stiffer arrows. So I thought I would upgrade to help with down range speed. But that introduced a question do they make broadheads that are narrower for micro-shafts?

IMG_20160317_174706933[1].jpg

2. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've asked the same question when j was shooting pile drivers. The answer I got was no. But to me & I tend the over think things & like reasoning, it seemed to me that it would effect arrow flight. But every one I talked to says it don't.

3. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never really seen anything. I shoot Bloodsports which are micro diameters but they have the outsert on the end which match up nicely with my Hypodermic's.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You really don't want a smaller broadhead on the front of those arrows. Having a larger head will create a larger "pilot hole" which allows the shaft to penetrate further with less effort.

From an aesthetic standpoint I know it's annoying as you want the ferrule to match the shaft. However there's no real benefit to a thinner ferrule. I shot CX Pile Driver PTX's last year with Spitfires on the front of them. 3 out of 4 animals I shot were complete pass thrus.

5. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Bloodsports with Killzones, and the ferrules do match. Justin is right. Bigger ferrule makes for better penetration with micro diameter shafts. It's been a great setup for me and my brothers. Lots of passthroughs, even with 2" heads.

6. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slick Tricks for any arrow. This head makes all expandables obsolete.

7. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad I stumbled on this thread! I was getting ready to ask the same question. Upgraded to the Mathews No Cam, and decided to try some micro arrows. Ended up going with the Easton Axis. My Slick Trick Magnum ferrule's are only the smallest fraction larger than the arrow, and I wanted to make sure I didn't need to match diameter completely. I really love those broadheads and didn't want to switch. Thanks, guys!

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Easton Axis with Slick Trick Magnums. It does not affect anything. You should be good to go.

9. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen quite a few people on here with our exact arrow/broadhead combination. I'll take that as a good sign!