Coyote question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sburns08, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So yesterday was opening day for me, though it was as hot as Georgia asphalt outside I still got my butt into a tree. I sat later in the evening in hopes to catch a brute walking by on his way to water, same ones I had on camera for the past few months. Around 8pm I looked to my left and seen a coyote standing inside the woodline about 50 yards behind me. I had no shooting lane In that direction other then one in which the coyote was heading towards. Instead of doing what I should have done and drew my bow before he reached that open lane I waited and drew when he was standing inside the lane. I drew, he busted me and ran off. (Gotta shake those cobwebs off). I only assume because the yote was in the area is the reason I didn't see any deer at all. Is it a safe assumption that if there are coyotes present no deer will come out? If I see a coyote should I just pack it up and go home for the day?

2. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely not.... I've had seen both from a stand within a hour of each other. Yote came through first then the deer so the sent didn't seem to spoke the deer. My 2 cents

3. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It is hit or miss i have had a yote scare my deer off i shot the sucker not 5 mins later and didn't see a deer I have also had a yote in the same area as a group of deer and the deer chased it off so i would stick it out just to be safe!

4. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Iv'e also seen both in the same day before and have actually had a yote "drive" a doe to me and I shot her. She ran in stopped I shot her and then I looked back and the coyote saw me and ran the other way.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen a pair of coyotes come through on a trail and as I watched them disappear here comes a couple does on the same trail.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've watched deer and coyote in the same 15 acre field at the same time. Granted the deer are paying more attention to the coyotes than the coyotes seem to be paying to the deer. They all live in that world and know the safe distances to be at.

Keep on hunting.

7. joshcalhoun18

joshcalhoun18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen deer and a coyote in the same field for about 15-30 but I've also seen a coyote scare away the deer so it's a hit or miss.

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot a coyote and a deer within 30 min of each other so I would say it doesn't mean a whole lot. But you won't know if you're on the couch!

9. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Give that coyote a few lip squeaks and eliminate the potential problem.

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As long as the coyote isn't chasing the deer, I think you're fine. If he had stalked some deer and busted them out of the area, I'd say you're done for at least a few hours. There are just as many coyotes out there as deer so if scent kept the deer away, I think we'd see a lot fewer of them.

11. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I did, he came in enough I could have shot him but I drew to early. Early season and got antsy lol. He busted me as soon as I drew on him

12. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got multiple pics of coyotes and deer using the same fence crossing within minutes of each other.

13. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    in my experience the only way that the deer will not come around is if they are in your area when the coyote comes through you will notice they become on high alert and then will disperse quickly.

14. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, just figured I'd get some insight. I just hate seeing them while I'm in my stand I feel like it taints my hunt a little

15. Vath

Vath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for asking! I wouldn't have known the answer either but I felt the same way in my stand last year. Glad to get some info knowing that one passing through isn't going to affect much, but one coming up may chase the deer off. Either way, I'll be taking shots at em this year!