Night Hunting In Wisconsin!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BUCKS UP, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have good friends who rice and leach natives who harvest as the seasons give them, proud men who know the woods better than me they take and feed their families in the true tradition that they were taught.

2. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im glad to hear you use everything you kill and are proud of that but its the people that abuse the rights theyre given that give a bad name. I dont think we're saying you have to hunt like ancestors but when special rules are given like night hunting with no bag limits and the reasons why these rules are given to the natives then yea they shouldnt be able to use ar15's with thermal etc. How much of an advantage needs to be given to kill deer. I dont know what you been told about natives in canada and i cant speak for all canada but as for the maritimes its pretty well known how good they have it.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No special rights were given, they were allowed to harvest in certain zones. Putting restrictions on harvest methods is nonsense. The tribes have been suppressed and put down I do not blame them one bit for giving the people the finger and taking some deer.

4. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No special rights? Isn't this exactly what we're talking about the right to hunt at night with no limit? Something that another hunting could possibly face jail time for doing. Why do you need to night hunt deer?

5. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep people abuse there right's all the time not just natives!! I read about people all the time every year month after month of people abusing there hunting right's, guess what 99% are More are not native hunter's!! As far as how well Canada treats natives it's very easy just google it!!

6. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right's that where written in are treaty's so there not special, of course now that where trying to get are treaty right's fulfilled after a few hundred years of them not being fulfilled people get al sorts of bent out of shape.

7. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Because google is always true

8. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I call them special rights because only select people get the rights and i dont agree with it and alot of people don't. And i agree with you lots of people abuse the rights i never said just natives do. My whole beef is that NOBODY should be allowed to night hunt deer. There is no reason why anyone should be able to do that. How can you possible know whats beyond a target at night? Seems real ethical right? But if you think thats ethical or a fair way to do thing whats next? The hell with it I'll hang bait from trees attached to hooks....

9. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No Google is not always true but if you wade through the b.s and you have a brain you can get to the truth.

10. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry you think that way, but I'm glad natives are asserting there right's after hundreds of years of not being able too.

11. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never said they have to chase deer down with spears and tomahawks. I just thought it was kind of ironic. Wants to honor ancestry, uses night vision. That's all. You must of missed the part where I said they have every right to night hunt, but to not have bag limits with an already incredibly fragile northern wisconsin deer herd is just irresponsible. I know they couldn't possibly know what the condition of the herd would be at the time of the treaties, but maybe it's something the tribal elders could revisit. I mean if they care about conservation. Judging by the decimated walleye population in northern wisconsin maybe they don't.

12. BUCKS UP

BUCKS UP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t think this was really thought out to take care of the deer herd that we have. You really need some sort of registration and quota in place for this type of hunting. No one will have any idea of the hunting pressure that is being put on the deer herd or what if there needs to be changes made. The DNR has talked about how much they have done to help the deer herd, but now, their hands are tied because they will have no way of knowing how this is affecting the northern deer herd. There will be no deer management because any numbers they have will be meaningless.
    For myself I was thinking this could become dangerous if given the right scenario. I park my truck off the road into the edge of the woods to stay out of the way of loggers etc. I hunt until dark and we all know that deer are active during this period. Now I don’t see anyone hunting at night to go up and down the road looking for vehicles parked off the road and that poses a problem. Another scenario is if I do shoot a deer, I leave to get rid of my hunting gear and come back to retrieve the deer, again parking off road in the same place, only this time, I am out there later than normal, and again things could get lethal. Now I obviously would be cautious if I see spotlights in my area, but again this is something some one should have considered. It’s possible to come back to a truck with a hole in it. Just putting times when they can start and stop hunting would reduce these scenarios from happening. You then would know when you shouldn’t be out there during their hunting hours.
    The courts have spoken, but I think the governing forces should take a long hard look at revamping this hunt to at least take care of some of the issues that are now in place.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I'm unfamiliar with ancient hunting techniques, but can someone explain the night hunting methods of past? I guess I just can't exactly fathom how they could have night hunted successfully without modern day equipment?

14. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good question.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crickets!!!!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This issue is not about technique or what is used it is about exercising the right to hunt in ceded land. It has nothing to do with heritage other than the right was given to them in the treaty.

17. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about night hunting but do recall reading that ancient people would chase the whole herd of bison off a cliff. there are videos of Africa where a large number of natives surround and area and then move to the center and every animal in there gets killed. so they could be imaginative with primitive means and still eliminate a lot of game.

18. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    and as sota pointed out its about honoring a treaty and not technique. I think there were similar concerns in the northwest about native americans netting salmon and no one else could.

19. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honor a treaty even if there's a chance it could severely harm the deer population there? Just very surprised any deer hunter would think this is ok.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They will take far fewer than the wolves will. The Natives could not do as much damage as the liberal bonus permits did until recently. I believe the treaty should be honored.