Time for a Crossbow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by vermontwhitetail, Aug 12, 2016.

1. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never thought I would switch to a crossbow from my Bear compound, but it's happening this season. I hurt my right shoulder at work, rotator cuff tear, and pulling the 65lb bow back is not pretty. I'm sure I'd scare the deer into the next county. So, I purchased an inexpensive crossbow. SA Sports Empire Beowolf, 360ft/sec, Beman Carbon ICS Crossbow Hunter, Muzzy 100gr 3 Blade. Sighted it in at 20yds, then figured out the distances for each line on the scope as I moved back. Interesting photo of my second shot at 30 yds is attached. Bow is easy to pull back with the draw hooks, no vibration, a little noisy but aren't they all, seems well made, like the scope. I bought it on Sportsman's Guide.Not happy about giving up the Bear Lights Out compound this year, but stoked about being able to get in a tree. NJ September 10, Can't Wait!!!
    IMG_1109.jpg IMG_1207.jpg IMG_1209.jpg

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks about your shoulder. But at least you're good enough to get out with a crossbow!!
    Are you going to be able to safely climb up in a tree with your shoulder? And support all your weight on it in case of a slip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about the shoulder. I was just able to go back to a compound last year after 5 yrs of not bowhunting and 4 yrs of using a crossbow. I didn't bowhunt for 5 yrs cause I didn't want to swallow my pride. I am so happy I finally did. I took one wall hanger buck and a a handful of other deer with my crossbow. I still keep it for a backup.

4. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have to tie in all the way up, probably should anyway. This year I will. I also bought a ground blind and will be using that more then I'd like.

5. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think I could go one year without hunting let alone 5. Don't know how you did it. I'm swallowing my pride immediately. In VT you have to apply for a "disability" permit. I went in to F&W HQ today to get it. I didn't feel right about doing it, but couldn't stomach the alternative, not bow hunting.

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot straight and enjoy yourself in the woods. That is all that matters.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I didn't go 5yrs without Hunting. I'm a waterfowl freak too so that consumed me. I still shotgun hunted deer every day I could for those 5 yrs .....but it wasn't the same that's for sure. Missed out on too many phases of the season. In Illinois, shotgun season usually times out on the tail end of the prime time. Still good action but it's like not getting to a baseball game till the seventh inning stretch. :tu:

8. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope your shoulder gets better, and you achieve complete recovery. In the meantime...have fun with the crossbow, and best of luck this season.

Bill

9. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you heal fast and can once again become a bowhunter. Quitting the sport of bowhunting for a year until you heal and becoming a crossbower for a season will allow you to at least get out to the woods to hunt. best of luck.

10. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with that if that's what it takes to stay in a tree

11. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Geeze Louise... Some of these guys literally crack me up! Give up DEER HUNTING (or what ever you are Hunting) because you think some body is going to call you a sissy, or heaven forbid, ruin your tough guy, hard core hunter image, because you used a Crossbow?? I guess I am the Dummy here, because I choose to HUNT Deer with a crossbow... I also had to give up the high pound compound bow for a 50 lb., bow. Which I still hunt with, just as I have for the past 35+ years. Bottom line, I am in the woods doing what I am passionate about. Hunting Deer! I could care less about what (legal) weapon I hunt with. Or what anybody else thinks about it...

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As one who is also suffering with rotator and labrum cuff tares I would highly recommend getting to a physical therapist and doing exactly what they recommend.
    I'm back in the woods, albeit at a lower draw weight, but I can at least draw my bow. Good luck.

tc racing likes this.
  13. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the club. Using XBow about 3 years now. Love it!

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't even worry for a second over switching OR what others may say or think. It's all about the hunt and your enjoyment of it. I'm 62 and a crossbow may be on the horizon for me. I guarantee when that time comes, I won't look back for one second. I hope your shoulder gets back to normal, but if it doesn't at least you can still enjoy the sport you love.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

15. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with much of what has been said. If your only source of enjoyment is thinking your doing something special by having a compound bow in your hand your missing out. Enjoy your time afield as you always have. Maybe you will be able to get back to the compound at some point but I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it.

16. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "A bad day hunting, (whatever that is????) beats ANY day working!!!!!!!!!

18. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good luck with your shoulder. I went to physical therapy for mine and I'm all good now and never missed an archery season. I only draw 52# but that is plenty for any deer.