aging eyes, guys over 50

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by happyhunter, Aug 10, 2016.

1. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 53. I shoot a 5 pin Spot Hogg bullet proof. The pins are large, and it helps me. I don't try to be so precise, and they stand out better too. As I was shooting tonight, as I got out to 40 and beyond, the contrast between pin and target is beginning to blur and blend... I was wondering, would a single pin sight help with this? It's too late to make a change this year, but I just wonder what type of sight those of you my age and older (elkguide) shoot.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am 50 and my vision is terrible, I can't wear glasses or contacts. If I shoot an arrow at 25 yards I have to walk half way to the target to see where I hit. I use a single pin and it helps a lot.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For me a larger peep and brighter pins helps, since low light conditions also are challenging.

I shoot single pins but your experience may vary.

On the blur/bend maybe just focusing more on 'covering' your target (v aiming) with the pin and form consistency may buy you a bit more time before bi/tri-focals...

4. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I already wear transitions(distance, plain, bifocal). I can't shoot worth a crap in them. Hunting from a stand in them is horrible. I have a pair of glasses that are straight distance vision that I hunt in. I shoot a hunter peep, that's not the issue. I guess I'll give a single pin sight a look next year.

5. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What sight do you shoot, and why do you like it?

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    HHA because the pin is bright and the sight ring lines up perfect with my hunter size peep.

7. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no clue about single pin sights. Is HHA a brand or a particular sight?

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    HHA is a brand, they have several models. I like the vertical pin.

9. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks.

10. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am over 50 and switched to a single pin last year after shooting 5 pins for many years. My problem was that the pins started to blur and I had a nasty halo effect on the pins especially in lower light conditions which is exactly when you don't need a loss of clarity because you seldom get shots at good deer in the middle of the day. I too went with HHA single pin and I absolutely love it and it has made a huge difference.

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I went to an HHA for the some of the same reasons. I also added a 4X lens and what a difference that makes. It's great to be able to see the target clearly again.

Blessings........Pastorjim

12. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Which HHA do ya'll shoot, and why? Patorjim, tell me more about that lens please.

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Optimizer lite 5010. Liked the lighter weight, small pins, housing size and simple design (little that can break/wear cept the tape)

14. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well now that I am thinking about 50, I am still using a 5 pin sight. I use .019 pins all the way. Yellow is out as a color, as I don't see yellow very well any more and I would be lost without a light when dusk comes. I had lasik over 20 years ago and my eyes are beginning to age a little bit so I'm thinking that I might have an "enhancement done in the next year or two.

As my Doctor told me when I asked her about several aches and pains.........

"SUCKS TO GET OLD," so there you have it.

It is an official disease and I have it!!!!!!

15. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thinkin about 50? You mean, reminiscing? lol. I had lasik in 99. Mine lasted until 2011, then the short arm disease started. I now wear transition glasses. Distance on top, nothing in the middle(I write code and stare at a computer screen all day), and bifocal on bottom. I hunt in a pair of glasses with pure distance correction. I just started experiencing blurring/halo effect on pin/versus target at 40 yards and out. I still shoot OK(I still shoot a grape fruit at 40. Used to do that at 60, but not anymore), but just thinking ahead. I'll probably switch to a single pin for next year.

16. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Only old guys reminisce so I'll leave that one for you hh. Switch to a single pin???? What will you do the year after that........ go out in the woods with a blind man's cane and hope the deer just laugh themselves to death?

:o;);):o

17. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I still have that perfect stand set up for you. In the middle of a 200 acre mowed CRP field, on a telephone pole, 7 feet high. Come on down. Plan to sit all day. Deer move through there constantly.

18. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the HHA DSXL 5519. The XL just designates that it's a 2 inch housing as opposed to their inch and a half standard housing. the "19" in the number represents the pin size. The magnification lens comes in 2x, 4X, or 6X. It fits in the housing an acts like a scope. I started out with a 2X lens and moved up to the 4X. It really makes a big difference. HHA sells lenses but I had mine custom made by a guy that sells them on AT. It was a better grade glass and cheaper than HHA's. Good luck!

Blessings........Pastorjim

19. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    speaking of hha's ive always been sort of confused on how their yardage tape works. Do you have to make marks with a pen or something and then put the tape over that?

20. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did the exact same thing. Unbelievable difference. I tried the magnified peep but didn't like it. No complaints with the 4x on my sight though