Lets Talk Broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JesseHunts, Aug 3, 2016.

1. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone, I know this is about to be a very controversial thread that could ruin friendships. (Bad Joke) Anyway I just bought a Mathews Z7 Extreme, and I was Shooting Slick Tricks for broad heads before I bought this bow. I decided to Venture to the wild Side this year and stray away from my previous love of fixed blade broadheads. I decided I wanted to try some mechanical broadhead this year. This is something very crucial for me because I like knowing that I am going to get penetration, and kill my animal. I am looking into the NAP Killzone or Killzone MAXX for this year i was wondering what your thoughts are on this broad head or if you recommend shooting something else. i prefer to stay away from rage my father shot them and never recovered his deer when he used them. Fixed blade broad head suggestions are welcome as well.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I am a fixed blade hunter for big game, (I use mechanicals on turkeys) and given the choice, I use German kinetics, first choice, Solids second choice and Slick Tricks third, IF I were to use a mechanical head it would be a NAP Killzone.

3. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If penetration is what you are worried about i'd stick to fixed blades. That said I use QAD exodus. Also my last two deer I killed were with NAP kill zones. Both good shots and pass thrus.

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used the NAP Kill Zone's last year on my buck and it worked well. I've also used them on turkey and they work well too. Flew straight for me with no issues.

5. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the replies. I am excited for this season, currently looking for a pro staff team to join my archery shop is looking to be a solid option right now. I also cannot wait to hear what you all have to say about the broad heads you use. Im really liking the slick tricks, but it may be time to move on.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what poundage are you pulling and also why time to move on? did the slick tricks not perform?

7. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    I am Shooting 65lbs with my z7 this will be my first year hunting with it. my only reason for wanting to move on is i want to experience what the hype is about mechanical broadheads. the slick tricks performed last year quite well, but i was maxed out on my Ux2 last year at 50lbs and was limited for my range i could comfortable shoot and make an ethical kill with that bow.

8. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough. under 70 lbs I would go with a lower cutting diameter and an arrow with some weight to it. So for instance of the two NAP you mentioned I'd stay away from the Maxx. but that's just me. I shoot the Tricks and have been for a long time. Fixed blade guy right here.

9. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    See and I'm a fixed blade guy too. I may just stick with the tricks until I move up to 70lbs next season. I just got this bow. I wanted to get use to it, and being able to have more weight for a draw weight before I decided to go right to 70.

10. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not saying 65# isn't enough for mechanicals. I'm just not the best/experienced archer so I like to limit the margin for error... i also am not a fan of too much change at once. if it were me I would get comfortable and confident with my new bow. Then maybe make another change. Congrats by the way Z7's are sweet bows

11. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you I am quite pumped I was able to get it fully loaded for a good price and was able to keep my old bow too so now I'm trying to get the fiancé into it

12. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think if you are going to shoot the killzone you might as well shoot the NAP Spitfire Double Cross. Get those extra 2 blades to open up a monster hole. If you shoot them in the ribs for a double lung doesn't much matter what you shoot them with, as its likely passing through. If you shoot them in the shoulder with a slick trick or anything else it also probably won't matter much. PS I shoot both, been shooting slick tricks the last few seasons, but this year I'm going to hit some with larger mechanicals just because.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You also need to consider the weight of your arrow when choosing a head. People often say the head failed when they do not understand that a heavy head is needed to push a mechanical thru a deer.

14. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed blade recommendations.....Solid Broadheads and VPA's

15. theleo

theleo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed blade recommendation: Shuttle T's

16. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the RAGE Chisel tip for a few years now with good results.

17. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely stay away from the Killzone Maxx with your setup. I was having very limited penetration with them when shooting the Chill X. If you go that route might want to shoot a decently weighted arrow. Good luck and show us what you kill. :tu:

18. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is probably the most overlooked piece of wisdom in every broadhead discussion that have ever heard/read.

The arrow is the sum of its parts.

19. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    Of course pictures will be coming in the fall

20. TJSanchez82

TJSanchez82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Toxic Broad heads?