When do you hang stands?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sgcableguy, Aug 3, 2016.

1. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know this will bring several different responses, I am just curious. I am blessed enough to be able to set my stands and leave them up for the season. I use GW hang-ons and 20 foot offset ladders. I also set 1 blind. I usually set these in mid August in Missouri. Start hunting around the 1st of October.

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My ladder stand has been out for over a year. With having my knee scoped I will be hanging my other this weekend.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With increasing neighbor issues I am not sure when I am going to hang/move stands, no later than 2nd week in September hopefully.

4. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about the neighbors. I have a good friend that has been dealing with neighbor issues for over 3 or 4 years now. From poaching to painting stands. Just a major hassle. Too bad folks can't just keep to themselves, and not mess with property that is not their's!!!

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been up for 4 months already.

6. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to hang stands in cool weather. In my ideal world I would get some up in the Spring around Turkey Season like the annual permanent stand locations on my farm. This year with a new baby I haven't got to do much. It is hotter than hell here now and I hung one last weekend in the heat...got it done, but it was rough. I went to cut a shooting lane and ended up getting stung by two yellow jackets from a ground hive so had to back out. I won't go back out until it cools off. I may go back in August/September and clear some shooting lanes and put my lifelines up and bow ropes, etc. I also like to keep a few stands down and ready to hunt the sign of the year such as where the Oaks with acorns are for October and those usually go up when it cools off in September or even get out up on the fly in October and hunted right away.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Usually around turkey season. I have most of them up but I still need to move a ladder stand and hang another stand this weekend.

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^This^^^ Every year I tell myself I'm going to get my work done sooner but my job gets real busy and I find myself working 60+ hrs/wk from March until September. Throw spending quality time with family in there and there's hardly enough time to wipe my butt real good. I just got out last weekend and hung a few ladder stands. it's like I subconsciously make time on the hottest weeks every year to do my work. I must secretly be a glutton for punishment... I still have to build a duck blind and get it brushed for Sept . it is what it is. my motto every year is simply "next year..."

9. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Usually mid August for me. Anyone using a hoist system to hang your stand. I bought one last year and it makes hanging a lock on a breeze. Best $20 investment I've made in awhile

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never take the ladders down. I will go add a new layer of straps here one of these weekends.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Some stay up year-round, others I hang the day I hunt them. All depends on the location and situation. Gotta be flexible. :tu:

12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought you were talking about the hoist system for ladder stands. im wanting one of those. I'll have to look into what you're talking about

13. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No it's just a small pulley on a bracket that straps to the tree. Tie one end to the stand and have a buddy pull it up to you or tie it off to a tree below. No more bear hugging the tree with one hand and trying to position the stand with the other. A lot safer way of hanging a lock on too.

14. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually hang them around the first of August. Depends on the temps this weekend. I'll definitely get them up before the end of August. Have to hang one in a Mulberry tree. Going to have to "brush" it in do to how quick the leaves will be on the ground and the lack of height.

15. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer to hang in late February to mid march and I'll rough trim them out at that time. Then I return in August time frame to finish trimming them out.

16. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did the same thing a few years back. I went to Lowes and bought what I needed to rig up a pulley system and it has made this job a whole lot easier and safer. I probably didn't have $5 in the whole thing. I will hang stands about the last week of Aug.

Blessings........Pastorjim

17. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Leave up my ladder stands all year long unless I'm changing location

18. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All of my stands go up in June if I can before it gets too hot and too many mosquitoes. You couldn't pay me to hang any stands right now as bad as the mosquitoes are; worst I've ever seen by far.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have never experienced mosquitos as bad as they are this summer.

20. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm. It really depends. We will usually leave them hanging and change the straps every few years. However if things need to be tweaked we will make the adjustments and give it a few days for the deer to get used to. Last month I hung a few sets based on what i knew from last year and the addition of a few new plots. Just play it by ear. Good luck!!