Hunting pack help requested

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by formernuke, Jul 24, 2016.

1. formernuke

formernuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to bowhunting and havn't hunted at all in a long time. I want to invest in a hunting pack or pack system. I want to buy one system if possible that is versatile enough to handle both day trips and longer.

Inputs are greatly appreciated.

2. vaborn7795

vaborn7795 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I own the Outdoorsman Hunters Pack System and I like it.

I have heard some really great things about kifaru pack systems. They customize the platform to your specific measurements.

Both are a bit spendy, so I think that (as with most things) it will have a little bit to do with your budget range.

Kirfaru was a little out of mine this time around, but I still feel like I got a quality product.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you're thinking backpack hunting, like you might use in the western states, there have been some recent threads on the topic. But if you can elaborate on the type of game, area, expectations you're looking for a lot of folks can better weigh in on specifics.

4. formernuke

formernuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in New England MA. For starters my hunts will be mainly deer locally but I want to try for bear within a couple of years and then hopefully elk and moose, these will take me to Main or New Hampshire. I will do some hog hunts in PA as well but those are guided on private property so my gear requirements won't be near as much.

5. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What types of things are you looking to carry in your pack? Do you want a pack that can hold your bow and quiver? Are you looking for a stand/sticks carrying pack?

6. formernuke

formernuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bow and quiver, emergency stove, wood processing saw and knife and fire starting supplies, small first aid kit, hunting knife, water, food, bags for game, rangefinder, gps, spare clothing in case of need to shed or add layers. Some hunts will be stalks some tree stands. I do not know about sticks.

Versitility is a must. The ability to haul meat out would be a nice bonus.

7. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka Tool Bucket gets my vote. I picked one up a couple months back and it is extremely versatile. It holds everything you need, is well constructed, and has varying types and sizes of pockets. On top of this, you can detach the backstops and attach to a stand for carrying. You can either use only the straps or also attach the bucket portion of the bag to the stand.

8. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know a system that would cover my day hunts for deer (roughly 2400 Cu Inch pack) and longer hunts for bigger game where I'd need to haul out meat (4000 plus cu inch pack with a frame). personally I'd consider a pack that best fits the majority of hunting and then when you need a larger one for longer hunts after bigger game find one best suited for that. I've done one week long hunt on the tundra for caribou and the pack needed for that is not one I'd want to haul around for my day long deer stalks. Just my two cents worth. good luck with it.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The some packs I think can excel at both your scenarios would be ...
    Seek outside Perigen
    EXO k2000
    Mystery ranch Cabinet or plinter
    Kifaru 14r
    Kuiu icon pro 1850

All these would be great in day pack mode and can handle meat hauling ...you can also switch out the bags and use the same frame of you need a larger pack for extended stays

10. Fezzik

Fezzik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    this.
    I think you're talking about very different scenarios and would likely want a different pack for each. I started whitetail hutung with a bag much larger than I needed and quickly realized I didn't need or want to continue hauling all the extra weight for a tree stand hunt.

11. formernuke

formernuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the inputs so far, The Kifaru's are nice but man are they pricey. Horn hunter makes a nice one but a little on the heavy side. I'm considering Eberlestock Transformer with frame so I can add on one of there dry duffels if needed

This is defiantly a investment so I'm still researching to see which way I want to go.

12. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look into the Stone Glacier Solo.

13. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been seriously looking into the kifaru nomad. Sounds about as close as you could get to what you are looking for. It has two wings that are 2400 cubic in that can be tied together for your day pack. Then, in between those you can spread out the wings and put in what they call a camp bag which bumps the total cubic in up to around 7000 or you can place game bags in between for packing out game. I just havent taken the plunge on the price tag.

heres a link https://store.kifaru.net/nomad-2400ci39liters-7000ci114liters-p145.aspx

14. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    might check out Alps, lot of pack for a reasonable cost.

15. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kuiu packs are interchangeable on the same frame, so with the initial purchase of a full kit, ypu could have a seperate backpack ranging from 1850-7000 ci just by changing the bag. That's the route I went

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

16. formernuke

formernuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How is the quality of the ALPS compared to the others?

The Stone Glacier looks nice and based on there other packs might be the lightest of the bunch. The sky bowhunter from them also looks nice but I'm worried that 4000 might be to big for day hunts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Badlands pack and like it a lot. It's just a small day pack but the quality is good. I'd take a peek at their stuff if you haven't already found something you like.

18. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buy once, cry once. Good packs will last you a long time and have better resale value if you want to get something else in the future.

I think your best bet would be two go with two different packs. A daypack and another for extended hunts/meat hauling.

19. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the pursuit X by Alps which was designed for bowhunting. do a lot of spot and stalk and ground hunting. for me its perfect. great quality. reasonable price.
    ALPS OutdoorZ   /   Hunting Gear & Equipment

20. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the blacks creek mathews backpack 3:16 lumbar pack the lasts few years and love it. It's compact enough to store in the treestand but has all the space and compartments needed for all day hunts.

Not sure if they still sell that exact model - but it's been great purchase (~150 bucks).