Trouble getting pics of bucks.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ernmcburn, Jul 11, 2016.

1. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This year I'm having trouble getting buck pictures. Ive tried many different brands of feed and mineral, but none of them have worked very great. So far Ive only gotten three bucks on cam. Any suggestions?

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Buy a bag of salted peanuts in the shell. Sam's club has a 5lb bag for $6. Put them out when you along with a 50 lb bag of corn. Don't pour the corn in a pile. Spread it out over 10 yard area. Spread the peanuts out as well. Works like a charm for me! Also, buy a cheap bottle of molasses and pour it over a rotting tree stump.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Relax. I like to get pictures of bucks too but I have found that you can get pictures of bucks all summer and once the velvet is gone the bucks are too or they disappear once the rut hits. I feel secure in getting pictures of nothing but does because come November I will have bucks.

4. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have more than 3 bucks in your area? Sometimes what you see is what you get. By us the area is so vast and there are not a lot of deer and what you see is what's there.

5. ernmcburn

Dislikes Received:
    I know there are more than 3. I saw a ton last year that were like spikes, and it's on private property so I doubt they died.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    June 10 card pull, we had five different bucks on camera.

Pulled cards yesterday and had ZERO bucks!

7. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How long did you leave your camera out? How big is the property you're hunting? Which type of terrain/cover did you put your camera?

8. ernmcburn

Dislikes Received:
    My cam was out for over a month, I think it's like 120 acres and I put it on a lane where I even saw deer crossing when I put it out

9. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Put it in thick cover, but at the same time don't make it too difficult to get to. You want to be able to get in and out cleanly. Cameras can be a blessing or a curse. They can give you false hope, and also false doubt. You may see a big buck on camera and never see him during the season. You may never get a buck on camera and have one walk under your stand opening day. The more time you spend in the woods checking cards the more you are educating the deer. On the other hand, they do help give you an inventory of what's on the property. I don't use cameras much anymore. It was too frustrating. I hunt almost strictly hardwoods so finding easy access good buck areas was difficult. The camera is just something else to hold your scent, let alone the scent you lay on your hike in. Food often helps attract them regardless but if the bucks have something more readily available that's less risky they won't leave their pattern for corn. Are there food plots it ag fields on the property? Your best bet would be to put the cameras on a food source they are already using.

10. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^This^ has also been the case for me also I have one location where I have never gotten a velvet buck but come Oct November plenty of hard antlers around don't worry

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

11. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In past, have you gotten buck pictures during the summer monthes? If so, has anything with the land changed like being cut? different crops? etc. I'm pretty much the opposite. I usually get about 20-30 different bucks on cam during the summer up till season but by the time bow season starts I notice a drop. A lot of deer I think are not really local deer during the summer. They tend to kind of migrate to where the good food is and then once season rolls around the only deer you have around are the ones that call the area "home" persay.

If you wanted to post a arial photo of the land, I bet we could pick out some spots to try a cam? Our spots can then be compared to where you have the cams currently.