Kill Plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Cledus, Jun 17, 2016.

1. hillarcher

hillarcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Clover, chicory, and throw in some turnips with for cover for the first year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You want to kill weeds before clipping them down. Contact herbicides are designed to work on actively growing plants. Any weeds that are "STRESSED" are harder to kill. This is a huge reason you shouldn't clip then spray. Clipping take away leaf surface area for the chemicals to stick and when one clips low, it also shuts the roots down.

I use a inner sanctum, a blend of oats, annual clovers, perennial clovers and rape. Using liquid or dry humics at burndown helps loosen the soil and help explode the seed out of the ground.

3. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I messed up their. I weed ate a lot of it before spraying.

4. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went and checked on my "Throw and Grow" test plot today. I sprayed RU twice and gave it a week or two to burn off and put a couple bags of lime down. I cleared away the sticks and lightly raked the area to expose some soil. Consider this the "before" photo. Sorry for the rotation but you get the idea. I'll be putting the seed down ahead of the rain on Sunday.
    [​IMG]

5. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last before pic on second throw and grow spot. So dry in this area, but good sunlight. Hopefully we get some rain.....
    [​IMG]

6. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So many people never consider residual herbicides with glyphosates at burndown. You can mix atrazine (if have a chemical license) or simizine if you don't to give residual grass control. You also can use dual/parallel/me-too-lachlor for residual grass control

You can use pursuit instead of or in combination with glyphosate.

Brox/buctril/24db are some broadleaf options depending on forages your planting.

What chemicals to use should depend on what type of weeds your dealing with. Are they annual or perennial broadleaves or grasses?

7. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A hoe and garden rake can go a long way depending on the size of your plot. One year I broke my tiller and just used a garden hoe. It requires a bit more elbow grease but I got similar results.

I never messed with weed control. I simply cut the grass down as low as possible, tilled the ground, and then used a rake to clear the cut grass off of it.

If you can't till, and don't want to hoe/rake to break the surface up, I suggest throw-n-grow like you mentioned.

Most seeds don't need a deep seeding to take root.

A little sunlight and it should work.

BTW, I always only plant wheat, oats, and turnips.

A question? Has anyone used a homemade vinegar mix for weed-killer?

Also, in Arkansas anything planted before Labor Day will get scorched. Been there done that. Not sure how it is in Michigan, but may be something to consider.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  8. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, my mom uses a homemade vinegar recipe to get rid of weeds, she says it works really good!

Also, I will be waiting a while until I try and plant anything for that reason.

9. Meatmissle32

Meatmissle32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    spray and seed

10. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I'm probably going to wait until Mid August to throw any seed down, Otherwise I am afraid anything that sprouts off will get torched.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are both gonna be in the same boat. Thats what I am planning at the moment. :tu:

12. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I guess it will keep the deer from eating it all up before I can hunt it, lol.