Walker Calls For Resuming Wolf Hunting In Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Farmer Brown, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys think about this? Wolves in Wisconsin debate is about as hostile as guns in the U.S. but lets hear your opinions. Even though almost all deer hunters want wolf hunting but lets see what your opinions are!

Walker Calls For Resuming Wolf Hunting In Wisconsin | Wisconsin Public Radio

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to see their numbers brought down, not a fan of them in developed parts of the state.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If they were all gone, there would be very, very few people who would miss them.

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont understand why people get so emotional about the wolf hunt... I'd love to see it return!

5. Farmer Brown

Dislikes Received:
    People who don't actually see what these things do to animals. Sold land in up state Wisconsin to move south because of these things.

6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They need to be managed like the deer are. Hunters manage big game and if we add another "unmanaged" predator to the list, the big game population will take an bigger hit. Not saying they should start issuing 15,000 over the counter tags a year but if the wolf population goes unmanaged, it will quickly get out of control. I really do like having them back in the U.S. but something needs to manage them besides mother nature.

Most non-hunters or the ones that don't understand wildlife management think once an animal is on an endangered list it should never be hunted again. When they are seen in residential areas hunting their dogs and cast, maybe they'll get the hint. We brought back the buffalo, same should apply to wolves.

7. Farmer Brown

Dislikes Received:
    AMEN! Wish they realized that hunter who manage game want nothing more that to see as many different animals as possible. Nobody wants to kill them off. Look what we have done with turkey numbers in the Midwest. Record high numbers yet we issue plenty of tags. Management goes far beyond the pull of a trigger and they do not understand our love for wildlife. Everything else will be gone. Just a matter of time..

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know two families that sold their hunting camps in northern Minnesota because of a lack of deer shooting opportunities that dwindled rapidly over the last 4 years.

9. Farmer Brown

Dislikes Received:
    Rice Lake area never had a huge amount of wolves then in 2010 we had them everywhere on trail cams and farmers losing cattle more than ever and ever since that happened i never shot another deer until we sold it and moved further south

10. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love wolves, probably my favorite animal. And I think it would be awesome to see them in their natural habitat.

I support the idea of hunting them to support the population.

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't go that far....

A lot of shoot on sight happening throughout wolf range. I'd be surprised if more than half of whitetail hunters didn't want the wolves gone. I could be wrong since the SSS crowd tends to be pretty vocal.

I think it's ridiculous that wolves are "endangered" in MN.

Sounds like it would be a good time for me to buy some more hunting land in Northern WI :tu:

12. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will never understand the mindset of "hating predators".

Would you rather have 100 wolves or 1,000 coyotes?

Deer have been around here for over 4,000,000 years with predators never wiping them out and I think the deer herds would suffer more without coyotes and wolves.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't want them all killed, what I meant was its not like there are millions of people heading into the woods to try and see them. Most of the people who were against delisting them and having them managed will never see one in the wild, most of them will never even try to see them. They just complain to complain.

Don't know if you were serious, but I just might have a line on 80 acres of land. It will probably go for about $1000/acre. Its the end 80 of the 240 I hunt now.

14. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My opportunities to shoot deer have dwindled in the last four years here in southern Minnesota too and there hasn't been wolves here in along time. The DNR screwed up the Minnesota herd in the early 2000's and it's having a tough time recovering.

15. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you saying to put DNR on the list :poke:

16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Semi serious, but we're waiting for the family that owns the 160 acres next to us in Washburn, Co to get the "wolf fever" and want to sell :busted:

17. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit, I wouldn't care if all the wolves in WI were killed, I remember doing just find before their populations grew. If you want to see a wolf go to Canada or visit Fitz.. I went to Canada to shoot one back in the early 2000's, one of the nastiest smelling critters I've ever delt with, just don't see the need for them.

18. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget the deer which could be a marginal shot, supposed to just back out and not push, could be just skin and bones by morning .

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Before the DNR takes the blame how many doe tags did you fill? Here in the central part of the state the numbers have been consistent.

20. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have to manage predators as well as prey. Randy Newburg talked about this a bunch when working to get them delisted in Montana