Easton Deep Six FMJ inserts

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TKP030, May 28, 2016.

1. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been trying to get more foc and cannot find the brass inserts to fit in the g style only x style. Anybody know where to find them or use anything else to get more weight up front?

2. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't find any either so what I ended up doing was buying an extra set of the standard inserts and I doubled them up in each arrow stacking one on top of the other.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think you can still use the AXIS Hit Brass inserts but of course you can not use a deep six field point or broadhead.

4. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The smallest I can find is the 5mm brass and those are too big which I think are for the axis

5. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously the HIT Axis inserts are too big so I use a brass weight in the other end of the insert.

If you go to a hardware store and get some 6-40 brass screws, I cut them down to weight (file to fine tune the weight) and screw them into the insert (the other end) before I glue in the inserts. Make sure you use loctite on the screw threads your inserting as you won't be able to get to it once it is installed.

This is just a modified (cheaper) version of gold tips screw in weights that they offer to modify FOC of arrows.

Clem

6. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is a good idea!! Do you know by chance about how much space you have to be able to screw in the back with out affecting your broadhead being able to fit flush with the end of your arrow?

7. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    and im guessing 6-40 is thread count or something?

8. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You have about the same as the thread depth on a point/broadhead. This really depends on how deep you have set the insert. I have found too much difference when a shop glues in these HIT style inserts, so I do my own. The depth of thread (beyond being secure), does not matter just make it to have the weight correct and then locktite it in place. Also dry fit everything and check your weight calculations are correct (allow a few grains for glue), as once you have installed it in is in there for good.

If you are worried about locking the screw in place use a small nut filed down to 3.9mm to lock down against the insert and use pliers to tighten it up, with locktite as always.

Yes 6 is a representation of the diameter and 40 is the turns per inch (TPI). If you go to Homedepot/Lowes in the cabinet isle they will have a wall of machine screws some in brass that will have different diameters and thread counts look for a brass 6-40 machine screw.

Clem

9. shegje

shegje Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Clem that is a great idea thanks! I've been doing the calcs the last couple of days on the fmj and I couldn't get my FOC where I wanted it now this will help a lot.