Meals durring season, and food on stand...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TreebillyOutdoors, Jun 4, 2016.

1. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dogs and deer use their sense of smell for completely different reasons. And no one claims 'elimination'.

2. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try not to over think it. If your down wind the deer won't smell you.

3. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've done a lot of stupid things in my tree stand when it comes to scent control and been successful, I've also done everything by the book and been busted by deer getting down wind. I do not change my diet during hunting season. I may not drink a pot of coffee on the drive to my hunting area because I don't want to pee a 1/2 dozen times by 10 a.m. I think a lot of hunters overthink scent control or use it as a crutch or an excuse to hunt a certain stand when they really shouldn't. I've used Scentlok for a few years now because it's easy to recharge, and it's descent clothing. I've had deer downwind of me and not bust me while using Scentlok, but I don't know what the thermals were doing or how my scent was traveling on the air currents. So for me it's a mental / confidence factor to using scent control. I have it I will use it, but I also make sure the wind is in my favor. It all works together.

4. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So UJ How did you come by the priceless piece of info on dogs and deer and how they use their noses??? You been talking to the animals again? Enlighten us on what they said and how they are different...

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    <sarcasm>I use an old vacuum hose attached to a hole under my seat and the other side hooks up to an Ozonics. When I fart, it's turned into natural ozone with no smell. </sarcasm>

<truth>I usually eat something like an apple or banana and some trail mix if anything at all. Sometimes I don't eat breakfast and opt to eat a bigger lunch between morning and afternoon hunts. It all depends on my hunting plans for the day.</truth>

6. buckshank

buckshank Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anything reasonably healthy that doesn't make a ton of noise and doesn't stink

7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry you can't figure out how predators use their sense of smell vs. how prey use their sense of smell. To many, a nose is a nose is a nose.

8. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got it figured out.. The answer is don't get in their nose hairs --- be it prey or predator -- cause both will know you're there! LOL

9. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Both may know you are there, but each will react completely differently to your smell. The reaction to a rewards system is so different from the reaction to a potential threat. Animal Behavior 101.