Public Land Tree Stand and Blinds

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by joe_bow, Jun 5, 2016.

1. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been reading older posts on the forum regarding use of climbers, hang ons, or blinds for public land hunting.

In NY, there is some "semi-public" land that I hope to have access to this year. I am thinking of using a climber or even just sitting on the ground. I've seen some people do that with success. Perhaps with a Ghost Blind?

Can you guys/gals just quickly let me know what you use on your public land hunts, preference and why? (hangons w/ removing sticks, climbers, blinds, etc).

Thanks for the input!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm totally mobile. I have a hang on with climbing sticks and a climber. Depends on the tree. If I find a good spot. I pick a tree and that dictates what stand I bring next time. Although I do prefer the hang on during bow season. Feel more free to shoot all around me. Climber is my go to in gun season as it doesn't really matter how far I sit from a certain place.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use both a Lone Wolf handclimber, and Lone Wolf Assault and 4 LW sticks depending on the trees in the area I want to hunt. Either way they come out with me after every hunt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i like hang ons with x.o.p sticks.

because i find them getting me into a lot more trees.

5. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never used the climbing sticks but don't see how you can carry at least 6 sticks and a stand along with other stuff. Im sure the guys who do though make it look easy

6. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think four Lone Wolf sticks will get you up 20 feet or so. They also have a stick quiver that attaches to the stand. Personally I'm waiting to see the price point on the XOP Vanish XT.

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I attach my sticks to my stand which also has shoulder straps. Bow in hand. Day pack either slung over a shoulder or hung off the stand depending on how far of a hike into the woods.

For me the sticks with hang on let's me setup in a wider variety of locations.

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use my LW sit and climb almost exclusively. It leaves the woods with me on every hunt, unless I know I'll be back before first light the following morning.

9. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^This exactly, Lone Wolf Hand Climber and my Lone Wolf Assault with 4 Sticks.

10. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why does a hang on provide more flexibility? Can you get them on smaller trees? I've only hunted homemade stands with a friend so pardon my lack of knowledge here.

11. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As opposed to a climber stand? When using a hang on you can pretty much get into any tree/any scenario you like.

12. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is that because it can go around smaller trees and you don't have to be concerned with random limbs as much?

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used a LW hand climber and a LW hang on/sticks last year. I'm currently trying to sell my hand climber if that tells you anything.

Climbers are okay if you scout for those types of trees in the winter. They fail when you're going in blind or have to adjust to account for deer movement.

Also, hang ons just feel more solid to me. You can try to adjust your climber, but there's a good chance that it will be tilted up or down once you get to your desired height.

14. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    man up...lol
    2001_Mega-Combat_-Hang-On_Carrying_web_1024x1024.jpg

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  16. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of trees are for climbers? Also, cant you just climb down and move to adjust for deer movement?

17. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stand, sticks ratchet strapped to the stand and hang the backpack off the sticks. I do it all the time. Upgraded the straps and carry it 500 yards into the woods no problem. Nice and quiet too.

18. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like most people use the LW stands and sticks. What about the Xtreme Outdoor Products sticks and stands. Any knowledge or opinion of those?

19. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seems that 2 years ago the Lone Wolf vs XOP was debated for quite a while. Has the quality of XOP improved? Seems that most of the reviewers thought it was cheaper Chinese knockoffs of LW.

Thanks for all of your insights!

20. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Straight trees with no branches for 20+ feet. Then you'd also want some heavy cover behind the tree you're setting up in. That combo is hard to find and you might be walking away from the heavy sign just to find the right tree.

Of course you could climb back down and do it all over again. But it's a hassle compared to sticks and a hang on.

The XOP are in LW's class. The guy that started LW left and started making XOP stands. They'll be coming out with a lightweight hang on in July or August.