Arrow selection?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jeepwillys, May 4, 2016.

1. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I need some expert input, on arrow selection. I know its gonna come down to how each shoots from the bow. I would like to hear though, which direction you would go.

I've ordered a Halon 7, 27 1/2" DL, 67# DW.

My goal is to have a heavier arrow for this set up. I'm not a speed freak, I just want that good balanced ratio.
    Accurate, Quiet, Hard hitting, Speed. Thats the order I put them in. These are the 2 arrows I'm considering right now. (I've also considered the FMJ)

GT Kinetic Kaos- 28" 340, OD .273, 472.97 Total weight, 11.99% FOC

GT Kinetic Platinum- 28" 340, OD .234, 448.17 Total weight, 14.78% FOC

Is there anything else I should consider? Or what other input do I need.
    Do you consider a 450 grain arrow heavy for my setup?

I don't want to blindly pump money into a lot of arrows to narrow it down. I'd rather do some math first or find out what y'all's experiences have been.
    Thanks y'all

2. HunterMik

HunterMik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My old MR6 was set at 28 inch DL 70 lbs and I shot the kinetic Kaos out of them just fine, they hit like a truck and were super durable for me. I never had one break just lost a few shooting 100+ yards and went into the woods behind when I'd accidentally pull shots. I'd highly recommend the Kaos I i had really good luck with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Talon_Ab77

Talon_Ab77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd recommend Easton FMJs.

4. Mattduncan1990

Mattduncan1990 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to jump on your post mate,

Was also thinking the same thing though but from a beginner point of view.

Do you or anyone else know anything about Carbon Express predator 2's ??

5. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot gold tip so this video helps me alot but the aspects he talks about will apply to any brand of arrow. Take a look at his videos and hopefully it will help you out.

Choosing the perfect hunting arrow - YouTube

6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would (and do) use Axis 300 with a 50 or 75gr insert. Better quality and more durable imo than GT. I have both. Axis.....Made in USA. GT......NOT.

Get the free trail of shaft selector from Pinwheel. Set the filters (ie hunting), put in all the bow and component specs and play with shaft length to get the correct reactive spine. This has worked for me and my friends for 7-8 setups.

IMO a 450gr arrow is not heavy. I shoot a 524gr Axis (still not heavy but I am old school w/ 40+ years of bow hunting) and a 587gr FMJ (getting heavy) with great results.

7. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The art of arrow selection imho is to hit the sweet spot heavy enough for proper momentum and still maintain max speed for the given setup. Six grains per pound for 65 to 70 pounds of pull puts you at 400 gr. I look for the lightest gr. Per inch shaft with the proper spine and add weight to the tip to get the max FOC that I can have for a given setup. I use a 330 Easton Hexx 28 in 50 gr insert 100 gr head and I am at 420 gr total. Out of a Mathews Chill R at 289 ft per sec. I have had great results with following the formula. Heavier is not bad just throwing away speed. Too lite and you throw away momentum.

8. Asinclair21

Asinclair21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ive used Easton FMJ's and the New Carbon Injections and love them both.

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I was leaning towards the platinum. Smaller OD, with 15% FOC. 450 grains. I think that would be a killer setup. Thanks for the replies. Still going to play with the numbers and see what I come up with. Then buy a couple test arrows of each and play with the weights, FOC, and fletching. I'll definitely check into the Pinwheel software.