Turkey Team #3 Team Triple Threat

Discussion in '2016 Turkey Contest' started by blueicefire, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You must be doing something right! Congrats on the successful hunts so far, keep it going :tu:

I'll be heading out for the my first hunt of the season this Friday. I'll be doing some last minute scouting on Thursday, I've got my eye on one particular tom.

2. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a strutter tonight right behind the blind at 10 feet again and I was up to bat... he walked through the feathers lying on the ground from Matthew's bird this morning. Couldn't get him to come out in front. So -- as the old saying goes: Fool me once...

After they filtered off and went to roost (it was about 30 minutes before dark), we picked the blind up and moved it so where they want to strut will be in front of the blind tomorrow morning. :)

3. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh.

Stupid hens.

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! Our season opened on the first and I've officially been in Wyoming for 1 day of it. Looks like I will only get one tag this year but thats alright.

It should work out alright. I was there last week since my wife's family lives there :).

5. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    SO SO close last night... had two big strutters at 17 yards to the left of the blind last night. I was competing with eight live hens who had walked past them... I was sneaking a peak out the window at them and they were coming. I had to quit looking at them to clip on my release and get my bow at the ready. Nothing for a bit... My youngest was to my right ready to double with his shotgun after I lopped the head off the first one. My oldest was between us running the camera...

And ... nothing. I set my bow down, called ... and they gobbled 60 yards behind us. They had turned to follow the hens. :(

Had two strutters running in to us this morning while we were out running and gunning with my youngest with the gun ... closing fast to 65 and a stampede of cows came running from behind us and turned them away.

Maybe tonight... :)

6. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My season has still yet to start...

7. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    My youngest got on the board yesterday...

[​IMG]

8. Taylor.S

Taylor.S Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you have plenty of birds up that way.

9. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got on the board today with a Jake as I was packing up to get to work. It was literally a last minute bird as today was the last day of my season. Had to belly crawl about 150 yds thru brush and weeds to get into range. As I got into range in a prone position the 4 jakes turned and came towards me. Killed the biggest at 22 yds as they were ready to cross the property line. Also, had a big ol gobbler behind us earlier in the AM, but he would not commit to coming onto the property we were hunting. I was out Monday-today. Up until today, I had seen one bird approx 400-500 yds away. Each day there was gobbling from around 5:30-5:40 and then nothing the rest of the day (we can only hunt until 1:00 in IL). I'll load the pics later. Good luck everyone!

10. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the bird!

I went out this morning (Harvard) and I heard absolutely zero gobbles. I heard one hen yelping and that was it. Later I drove around the area and discovered the group of birds I'm hunting has relocated several properties over that I can't access. What struck me was that they were still grouped up. 2 toms, 3 or 4 hens and 3 jakes all in the same field. The biggest tom was definitely pushing the other tom and jakes around but they were not very vocal. Kinda sitting here scratching my head since it was the complete opposite last year this time.

Do you guys think that lone hen might have a tom near her? I literally watched her out of my kitchen window just loafing around in the field for hours but no other birds with her. Maybe shes sitting on a nest already?

11. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats rizzo; that's quite a feat low-crawling that far to nail a bird with the bow!

Can't wait to see your pics!

12. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    I had a tactacam on for the crawling adventure to get closer and seal the deal with the bird, but the footage was really crappy because I forgot the cam was on and my main focus was on the birds. Many, many minutes of video of grass! I should be able to get the pics loaded later today.

13. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually hunting between Harvard and Woodstock this last week! The birds were much less vocal this year than any other year that I have chased turkeys around WI and IL.

14. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got the hunt on video as well with 5 different angles!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Ryan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dad convinced me to use the gun with him this weekend. I got 2 with one shot. I'll be heading out with the bow again next weekend. Regardless, I shot my first turkey(s), and I had a blast with my dad. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1460869301.750104.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1460869309.990674.jpg

17. Illinoishunter102

Dislikes Received:
    This team knows how to get it done!

Successful hunt this morning...

20160417_085812.jpg

22lbs 2oz
    8" beard
    3/4" spurs

Definitely not the biggest tom around, but he came in perfectly. At around 7:30 I heard him gobble so I gave him a few yelps. Eventually he closed the distance and came into site by 8. He came in strutting right to my hen decoy & proceeded to breed her! I couldn't believe my eyes. Eventually he gave me the right shot, 7 yards from my blind. Magnus Bullhead to the neck.

I'll be out once more the first weekend of May, only this time in Wisconsin. I hope my success continues, maybe I'll be able to put my tag on a bigger bird.

18. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man.. CT needs to open sooner!!! My season hasn't even started yet!!!

19. Taylor.S

Taylor.S Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish Alabama season was a little longer. Opened March 15 and goes out April 30th. I've killed two so far, but both with the shotgun. Hopefully I will be able to get one with the bow before season ends.

20. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! 6 weeks! I only received a 5 day permit. Wow!