Groundhogs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by heartstopper, Apr 14, 2016.

1. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My great uncle has a really bad ground hog problem and gave me and my brother permission to come and take some out with our bows. When is the best time of day to get one and does anyone have any tips to shooting these things. I will probly use a ground blind. Thanks

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just like deer. Watch the fields to see where they come out frequently and setup there sand wait. Good luck!

3. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hate the little ****s. I have them pushing up holes in the middle of my class 5 gravel driveway. I'm cheating though and using a suppressed .22

Anywho, I've noticed the ones are ours here are most active late morning and through the middle of the day. Seem to taper off by dinner time.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They are digging under his porch and gonna make it collapse and also along his water drain line. I gotta make a clean shot he is loves animals and don't want them to suffer.

5. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They are intelligent enough to figure where the danger is coming from. You just have to keep changing locations. I used to shoot them
    Out of the upstairs bedroom window. After a couple went down, if they saw the curtain move they would bolt.

6. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I always find if they are sticking their head out of the hole, i would make a chirping sound and they would stand up.

7. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When I was a kid we had groundhogs all over the place around here. I would shoot a few each year around our house. I'm not sure what changed but I rarely see them in this area anymore. Maybe 1 or 2 a year. Not sure if the coyotes ate them all or what happened.

9. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had one in my back yard at 18:00hrs I remember the time because my conference call ran long and I was itching to shoot it... I did but I had to watch it eat my apple tree before my bow claimed its first victim.

2016-04-12.jpg

I also hunt an apple orchid and rule number one is ground hogs first deer second. The ground hogs are everywhere from about and hour after first light for a few hours then it tapers off a bit then picks up in the evening. But like any animal it depends on where the pressure comes from.

Clem

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    even with a broadhead there is a chance they'll get back down the hole before dying. you might set up a bait station a ways from the hole to give you a better chance of stopping them before they get back and go down it. a ground blind is a good idea. I would leave it up for a few days and let them get used to it. Oh yea, they make a decent stew if you remove all the little gland sacks under the front legs and elsewhere.

11. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Or just give'em a head shot.:bow:

Kidding, with the one I just shot I was aiming at his heart, I think he dropped just as I shot and I nailed him straight through the top of the head, he flipped backwards and just twitched, given the angle of the entry room and the way the arrow went right through him length ways he must have been horizontal when the arrow hit him.

12. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had my best luck with them in the evenings in mowed grass.

13. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    great shooting. time to break out the stew pot.....

14. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what someone else said but being a foreigner I'm not familiar with these creatures, in a post I started about christening my bow with the groundhog I asked about the suitability of my galah recipe that involves a house brick...

15. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    not sure about a brick...but groundhogs live on grass just like our favorite bovines and deer. you might try making jerky...
    Smoked Groundhog - Page 2

16. theback4

theback4 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I killed one last year. Dropped it in its tracks with a chinese knockoff Rage literally down the throat. Pretty proud of that shot.:biggun:

17. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When we first moved in we had a bunch. I took care of most of them last year. They were usually in the yard when I got home from work (around 5). I shot them with a .17HMR. Haven't seen any this year (thankfully) - they are awful on a horse pasture.

I know a few people who eat them. The smaller they are - the better tasting. They say they taste just like a roast. I can imagine that being true they eat same things as deer.

If you're planning on using your bow - I agree with someone else and set your blind out a few days in advance so they can get used to it.

18. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We shoot them 2 or 3 times a year here at my buddy's property. No need for a blind ,we just do it for practice for distance, great for that. Shoot them when they stand on their hind legs. Field points are good enough, no need for wasting broadheads. There actually carnivourose ,seen them get dragged down the hole by other prairedogs. Seen gulls fight over them also. Have fun.
    Rocky
    ps. Sorry I just read it was for groundhogs ,their bigger. Disregard what I posted.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  19. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Groundhogs can be tough, I have shot them with my .177 pellet gun and it usually takes 5 or 6 head shots to do it in. I would like to start shooting some with my bow, they would be a good varmint to test new broad heads on.

20. Zweibarrt

Zweibarrt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot more than a few, with my 22.250... just not patient enough to stalk them, or try and cook what's left after the 250 gets them.
    They have very good eyesight, and once they have been shot over, very wary.