Are you good with established bow companies producing bows with problems ???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BuckEyeJay, Apr 4, 2016.

1. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you think about a bow company that produces a bow where the cams have to be leaned to the point that the string wants to derail?

Do you like your bow to have a yoke leg that is so close to the cam that it occasionally rubs along the side of the cam?

How about a bow that can't be tuned to stop a high nock tear in paper?

Are you good with your cable guide destroying your cables?

Are you good with bows that need special tools?

Do you know why a company that has been making bows for years would produce a bow with problems?

Would you like to have a bow that just shoots where you are aiming and only needs the string replaced every couple of years? It would be nice to buy a new bow knowing that it is going to work perfectly, but this just does not seem to be the case. so let's hear your opinions.

2. marcuswagner12

marcuswagner12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ? What are you getting at? Your Halon has issues?

3. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    No not at all this is just a post about truth with all the leading bow companies out. This is not about one bow or one company but about all and the truth.

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its because they are bumping up the Ibos at all cost to sell bows. because most people right now dont want a bow if it shoots under 330.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No idea what you're talking about, no complaints here so yes, I'm fine with my preferred brand.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I find this ridiculous. Not your statement, but the fact that it's true.

7. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Every brand and each bow has its issues this is about whether you feel comfortable with these issues or not you can't say there's a perfect bow cause if a company made the perfect bow it would put them and every other company out of business. But like I said it's Wether your good with it or not hoyt being the most notorious for issues then I'd say mathews and so on being that I've worked in archery for the past 10 years and have shot archery for 13 I've seen and I hear a bunch about problems with each bow consistently .

8. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately that is too true. I talked to a dealer and he told me he couldn't sell no cams because they were way too slow. I thought that was sad that speed was the only seller.

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think my setup chronoed at 276 fps. Plenty fast for me

10. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The IBO on my 12 year old bow is 308. The speed I actually hunt with would be pretty slow by today's standards but the animals I've killed with it probably didn't know the difference. I've owned only two different hunting bows over the past 20 years so upgrading to the lastest and greatest has never been a high priority to me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Perfection is in the eye of the beholder, my bow has no problems and I'm happy with it so in my point of view it's perfect. I've never had a Hoyt with any of the problems you mention so color me lucky and an oddity. Perfection would never drive a company out of business, there will always be those that always have the compulsion to buy the latest and greatest even if performance is no different from what they have. Most problems with bows are from user error or misuse and abuse, every company and product has a few oddball problems but those are problems and are not intentional or typical and are generally fixed. Any flaw that creates excessive cam lean, string wear or whatever is not usually something that's acceptable in production and so should never be okay with anyone or any company. If those issues are typical of a certain model then it needs to be recalled and fixed.

12. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying to be realistic, while optimistic with the premier bow manufacturers in the last 3 or so years. Hoyt had the cam lean on the alphaburner and Maxxis, Elite had the big cam lean issue year before last. Mathews had the Chill X top hat / centershot / cam lean last year along with the no cam rub, and this year Hoyt has the infamous high tear in the Defiant and Hyper Edge. Being a quality professional in the manufacturing industry, I have experienced many of the same conditions across our customer base. Why? because company directives to squeeze productivity over quality at the same price were introduced, and our customers expected more of the product into maturity of the line. When I first started shooting, I didn't know the difference between a cable and a field point. I just drew, aimed and shot. Over time I learned why these things were important, and how to get the best efficiency out of them to hit more X's or critters with less tracking. Now that a lot of the pro shops are either gone, or are "clique" oriented, or over priced, and the advent of affordable or DIY home equipment, people are expecting more for their hard earned money. It's not so much that the bow manufacturers have changed (Except pricing!), I think it has a lot to do with what we expect when we take the bow home.

13. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    These are just the most common issues I can go on and on about limbs separating on the hoyt carbon element and matrix and so many other issues like cables guards stripping cables mathews and prime known for this and bottom cam leaning on string mathews creed cause of wrong shims used during manurfacturing and so on

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  14. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Most people don't even realize or notice these issues there so small and others do it just depends how serious you are with your equipment and if you want the best performance out of it then you'll be sure to notice it and start noticing it on each bow you get.

15. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've only owned one bow so far. Will be buying my second in the next few months. I know there are a lot of good companies out there but so far my current bow has great. There was an issue with the upper cam string groove being machined a thousandth of an inch small. It started to wear the sting but Bowtech replaced it and it didn't cost me anything. Since then, never had an issue. I can't say if the bow is perfect but it shoots great and I enjoy it. This is why I'll be buying another Bowtech in a couple months.

Nothing in our world is perfect. Manufactured goods will always have some flaw somehow, someway. It's kinda like auto manufacturers putting out cars they know have defects. The overall cost of stopping production to fix the issue costs a lot more than fixing the problem later after the car has been sold an doing recall work. Everything is maximized for profit.

If I spend my money on something I expect quality; unless I'm buying a car for $20. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for and don't mind paying a little extra for quality.

16. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think that companies are under pressure to put out "new" products every year to maintain their sales position as marketing has created a new and improved mentality. It seems that bows are rarely more than 5 - 10 fps different from year to year now sometimes much less. Dual cam, cam and a half, no cam, single cam. They all have their pros and cons and each seem to have their followings. I am not into buying a new bow every year but this is what I want as a consumer. A) I want durability and reliability, I have taken week long trips before and put my bows through some rough treatment hiking and traveling and I want something I can depend upon. B) I want decent speed but more than that I want the bow to be shootable, smooth draw cycle, solid back wall, doesn't feel like it wants to jump and a good let off. I would trade some speed for the other attributes. C) As a consumer I would like good value for my dollar which is why when I buy a bow I usually buy last years model instead of the latest one out.

Last year I bought a Chill R with the 85% let off which replaced a Z7x. I loved the Zx but it wanted to jump badly and I always had to be careful about that, the beginning draw was harsh and when I shot the Chill R it just felt so much better and I got a great deal. The Zx liked to eat strings also, but I will say the Zx took a beating and never let me down. I shot different bows before making my decision such as the no cam and the Elite. Really liked the Elite and the no cam shot great but that plastic box to protect the string from rubbing just screamed band aid fix.

Just my random thoughts toward what is important to me as a consumer. Others may have different thoughts.

17. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The last 10 bows I owned and the 5 I have now don't have any of the problems you mentioned. Actually I can't think of a bow problem I had since an Oneida riser broke at the stabilizer mount in about 1992. I sent it in and the sent me the newer model. No problem.

18. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All great points and I know this is a bow manufacture topic but its the same for all manufacturer. I own a small business and deal with lighting manufacturers all the time and a lot in china. You wouldn't believe the hours they spend turn a 10 cent part into a 7 cent part and keep your price the same and the buyers the same. Case in point I bought a new Chevy Avalanche the last year they made them, I ordered it just the way I wanted and after 15000 miles the chrome door handles were falling off. Its a frickin $40,000 vehicle. This country is run by money all countries are run by money. When that's the case quality is second nature. The little guys who are trying to make a name for themselves are the ones who put out the quality, that is until they become big, and so on and so on...

19. IABowHunter7

IABowHunter7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Every bow company is going to have some that end up with flaws. I don't think it's realistic to expect 100% quality control, it's just not going to happen. What separates the best manufactures from the average is their customer service and getting the issues fixed.

20. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK so what bow manufacturers do you feel are the most reliable?