Arrow wraps, pro's & cons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just as the title says, I am looking for the pro's and cons of arrow wraps. Is there more behind using them than just making sure your vanes adhere to the arrow better?

2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like them because they look cool but also add a bit of color to help you find your arrow. Also when refletching arrows you don't have to worry about the fletching glue.

3. joshcalhoun18

joshcalhoun18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use them and like them a lot! Not really any cons, but the pros are your arrows are really easy to find if you use bright colors and also it makes your arrows look really awesome!

4. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I were to damage an vane, can I remove it and clean any glue residue off where that vane was and put on a new one? Or does the wrap not hold up to that?

Guess I am just seeing if the cost of using wraps is justifiable for me.

5. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will admit that wraps can be pricey for what they are. There are some on ebay that are very affordable. They just aren't as fancy but still give you the bright colors along with some reflection to find your arrows. To answer your question about removing glue from the wrap, IMO I wouldn't try that just because if you are scraping glue off you most likely will cut/rip into the wrap and then it may give you trouble with flight. Just my opinion though.

6. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    i have found that when you take your time putting them on they fly just as good as normal vanes and as for removal i just take a blade along a side and it peels right off and i can put a new one on. Like Marauder said though they can be a bit pricey.

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good information here.

Many of you mentioned making it easier to find your arrow. Is this in a hunting situation, practice, or both? While hunting I use a lighted nock so that helps immensely while hunting.

I was looking at the NAP wraps as I can be a bit of a perfectionist. Their's is the same quick fletch tube, minus the fletchings. I can see those ones that stick to the arrow going on crooked for me, making me tear it off and try again.

With glue removal I figured scraping would damage it but would it hold up to the rag with acetone on it? I am guessing they won't.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ Also I have never had to re-sight bow after wrapping my arrows with them.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  9. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have found with a good blade it comes off really smooth generally i find the crease where it the two ends of the wrap meet and start there because it gives the blade more to cut into.

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing really negative to say about using wraps. My best friend owns a graphics studio and uses all kinds of vinyl so he just cuts me out dozens at a time. I personally like just a plain old white wrap. Its easy to see and the best part is that it shows blood on the arrow very well. Against a white background, its easier to distinguish what kind of blood you have on the arrow.

11. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Has anybody added wraps to a factory fletched arrow? Somewhere in the middle of the shaft to add a blood viewing spot or just some decorative flair.

12. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same thing as muzzyman88. For hunting arrows I always go all white. Helps me see the arrow in flight so I know what type of hit I likely got. Also helps you see what's on the arrow as well for blood color, gut material, etc.

For competitive arrows I tend to not use wraps. Not for any particular reason, I just don't need them and they don't provide the above mentioned advantages so I save the time and $$$.

13. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks every one. I don't think the extra cost is worth it for me. Using a lighted nock while hunting makes my arrow easy to find and gives me a pretty good view of the arrow in flight also. I don't have an issue telling what kind of blood I have on my arrow with out using a wrap.

14. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pros:
    1. Easy to install / refletch arrows (assuming you're asking the quickfletch)
    2. Look cool

Cons:
    1. Additional weight on rear of arrow (affects FOC)
    2. Replacing the entire quickfletch instead of just one fletching
    3. More expensive

15. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not the quickfletch exactly. NAP makes a shrink wrap arrow wrap that doesn't have the fletchings on them. I enjoy fletching my own arrows so I am certainly not interested in the Quickfletch.

Thanks again every one. I enjoy seeing why or why not one chooses to use (or not use) a product.

16. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the NAP Quickfletch wraps with vanes before. They are nice and pretty easy to do. You get bubbles under them occasionally when dipping them in the water though. The problem I had is if you mess up one vane, you have to replace the whole thing. It can be a bit more costly than just doing traditional glued vanes. Recently I've went back to the Blazer vanes because it's easier to just fix one and costs less. Any way, there's my 2 cents.

17. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As muzzyman said, I use an all white. Get mine at the local sign and graphics store. He gives me big pieces of scrap free and I cut my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the NAP wraps and enjoy them very much taking them off is a breeze with no glue. as for strength i have had blazer vanes tear from going through a target instead of the wrap ripping. when installing i just put it on all the way to the bottom of the arrow then when it shrinks on comes up about a 1/16 of and inch and even on all the arrows which is nice slightly ocd when it comes to things like that.

19. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the thing i have found is make sure the water is hot enough and drop them in slow doing this i havent had any trouble with bubbles

20. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is it for me as well. I like the white because the blood shows up well on them. Also, I can see the white while the arrow is in flight.