Practice Shots...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PinkPony, Mar 15, 2016.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went out for the first time this year and shot last night. My first two hit each other - a bit high, but I realized I used my 20 yard pin at 10. So, I was happy with results.

But then I moved to 20 yards and was about everywhere. It's like this for me every time I take time off and then shoot. It's something that just doesn't come naturally. Heck, even a gun I am all over the place for the first few.

So, those who take time off then pick up like never stopping - how?!!

I get frustrated. But, I will shoot my bow 5x a week when the weather is nice, so I get to where I need to be. But drives me crazy not being good at first.

(though, I must say - I will be upping my draw weight, it's easier to draw now)

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When the weather is bad, I blank bale shoot in my garage at least once a week in the off season, just to keep my form right. I have found that this goes a long ways towards getting me dialed in as the season approaches. I have learned that this is better than taking time off.

3. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    If I had a garage big enough (or basement) - I'd definitely do that. I used to shoot a couple times a winter at a local range - but they closed.

I just would think after four years I'd learn how to do it and stay persistent in form.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Even shooting at 10 yards in your basement or garage will help. Had an old timer tell me to shoot just one arrow a day. Seems to be a good thing. Doesn't really matter where you are hitting during that slow down but it matters that you are drawing and releasing.

( I also shoot my rifle inside too. Lots of TV show animals have died that way.)

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ( I also shoot my rifle inside too. Lots of TV show animals have died that way.)[/QUOTE

I bet it gets real when you want a new TV.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking might you mean "consistent" in form? Anyway, I don't shoot throughout the year, but when I do shoot for the first time in a given season, I shoot accurately. Even after not shooting for many months. My form is always the same. I go through the exact same sequence of motions with every shot, so I stay accurate. I think making sure your anchor point is always the same is most important.
    Once the season is underway, I'll often do a "one shot practice" session. I do this because you're usually only getting ONE shot at a deer!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  7. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went from an old proline to a new mathews yrs ago. The advancement in technology was about 15 yrs. I was so impressed with the bow I couldn't stop shooting it. I shot about 2hrs. a day every day in the wind the rain the snow the heat. I would work on part of my form each day. I did this for about a year straight. I became good, very good. That self training for that long actually got me a sponsorship from a couple local archery shops. I would shoot the local 3d shoots and win….. a lot . I would promote their shops in exchange for new bows. Iv'e been lucky……... I don't shoot the tournament trail as much anymore but I can still shoot. I hadn't shot the bow since deer season and just went to my local 3d shoot this past sunday. I won beating my nearest competitor by 11 points with about 50 shooters in my class. I know its like bragging but my point is that I put the time in to become the best shot I could possibly be and if you put your time in on the range you can be a great shot even after putting the bow down for months.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "Muscle memory".

9. J.Mcgee

J.Mcgee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One thing that you can do is close your eyes or not look at the target while you are drawing your bow, and try to concentrate on form and a consistent anchor point, then concentrate on the spot where you want the arrow to hit. If you don't do every thing the same every shot you will never see your full potential.

10. cawwwrin

cawwwrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot every day at 20 yards at least. If I skip any days, I notice my accuracy and form won't be as good. Keep on practicing!

11. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The more you shoot the better you will be and always make sure your not over bowed lower poundage will help with form if your shooting 70# back it off to about 60# and work ur way up good luck

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Far from 70, lol. At 40#, hoping to be up to 45 by season.

But thanks all. I'll just keep practicing. Wish we had a range around but nearest is an hour and a half.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

13. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ooooooh lol well in that case yeah 40# should be good then. At 40# what bow do you shoot? Didn't realize you were a huntress til I saw your name sorry.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

14. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a business opportunity!

At any rate, yes, stay with it as much as possible. I try and shoot at least an arrow a day. I think my downstairs room I might have 8 yards or something. But the thing is I am drawing back and releasing.

You may also want to think about one of the releases that you can't fire. You can work on building up your arm and holding the pin steady, just not shooting any arrows.

15. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Jeremy means one of these. It's a real handy (no pun) tool to have if you're just working on your draw.

Attached Files:

16. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, exactly!