Great White Hunters ;)

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by NEW61375, Mar 14, 2016.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I really enjoy about my trail cams is the fact that they capture series of events you'd otherwise be oblivious too. I call this particular group of pictures "The Great White Hunter Series" as they should some pretty funny timing of events.

I apologize in advance for the quality of some of the pictures. I buy almost exclusively less than $90 cameras and primarily use them on trails/crossings where the deer tend to be on the move. Those 2 qualities I feel can lead to less than "magazine quality" photos but as long as they function as a scouting tool I'm ok with it.

My dad and I are in the pictures below, the last 2 photo series is one of my favorites, we left around lunch that day and the cam caught the back end of my dads buggy on his way out and then another visitor. In our defense it was windy/rainy and we were being sissy girls ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Love it. Ive had the same happen to me many times as well. Minutes removed from shooter bucks...ect.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That just shows the importance of sitting ALL DAY! That buck didn't seem to mind the wind/rain. lol

4. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    I know...I know...I sat in that mess all morning and all I was thinking about was the chicken & dumplings in the crockpot back at the cabin. While the C & D was delicious seeing the shooter on cam in broad daylight while I was skirting out in the cabin did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I like the picture where I'm crouching and I imagine in my mind I was thinking "yeah this corner is tore up but during daylight, no way!?"

Then the doe comes through right at the end of shooting light followed by a pretty good buck. Shows what I know, I truly think I talk myself out of hunting some prime spots at least a few times each year, such is hunting ;)

5. early in

Dislikes Received:
    NEW61357, I wasn't busting on you, because all day sits are much more easily said than done! When I tried my first one, it seemed like time was standing still, and the evening would never come. But, I figured a way to "fool" my brain into making the day seem shorter. I broke the day into 3 individual hunts, morning, afternoon, and evening. Each hunt is 4 hours long. So morning is 6:00AM-10:AM, afternoon is 10:00AM-2:00PM, and evening is 2:00PM-6:00PM. Psychologically, it seemed to go by faster for me.

It's especially tough when you're not seeing anything! On my very first trip to Alberta (Edmonton Bow Zone) I sat the first 2 days of my hunt without seeing a single deer! That was 24 hours of not seeing anything. lol My guide said I wouldn't see a lot of deer, but I would see big deer when I saw them. This is what kept me going all week. On the 4th day of my hunt I did a brief rattling session before I was going to eat my sammy, it was almost noon. I hung the horns and waited a while. I saw a bit of snow fall from one of the spruce trees in the cluster in front of me, I thought a small bird made that happen, but I was very wrong. Out stepped the biggest buck I've ever seen (150" range) while hunting, and he's like at 18yrds facing me!
    He looks around for the "fight" he heard, sees nothing, and leaves at an angle that didn't offer me any shot. The point is I sat a lot of hours and saw few deer, but the big buck I did see was just minutes past noon time, when many guys would be back at camp hovering over a hot bowl of soup.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's the problem with cameras, they ALWAYS tell on you. Sometimes I'd just rather not know!

Blessings........Pastorjim

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All day sits are where it's at.

8. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy all day sits! That's tough to see lol!

9. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I'm with you early, I took no offense. I knew that day I should stick it out I just didn't follow through. Stupid dumplings! ;)

10. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky working for pretty cool guys, so I pretty much tell them when I'm going hunting. BUT, with this comes "no work, no pay", which I can live with. I figure if I'm taking unpaid time, I better make the most of it, and do all day sits. During the rut, I wouldn't think of not sitting all day.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It has happened to many of us and taught us some lessons. Nice pics!

12. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some serious main beams on that buck...He could really blow up next year!

13. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Amen to that.