Sitka Gear and people who own it

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jcz, Mar 9, 2016.

1. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was thinking about getting some Sitka gear this year but before I take out a second mortgage to pay for it I have some questions for you all. Do any of you have the Stratus line and how warm is it from temps down to 25 or 30 degrees? How is the sizing and should it be ordered a size up from normal wear? Also if there is something better than the stratus line for crisper temps what would it be. I have Predator Camo now and like the pattern but the material in there clothing is just not warm enough for me regardless of layers.
    Thanks

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Stratus. I think with the correct layers it can get you down in the mid 30's however below that I think you better off with fanatic.
    The stratus runs true to size. The only item I would consider sizing up is the jacket, if your planting on wearing several layers under it.

3. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I own the fanatic series for my late season hunting. Looking to get the Celsius jacket for my early/mid season. One thing I did for the fanatic is that I went a size up so I could add layers underneath. I almost regret that because it is a little baggy but still decent (not to cumbersome). I will say that this system will probably be way too warm for October by me. I wasn't able to test the system fully this past December because we had such a warm winter. I will say that in the 25-30's this system would be perfect. JMO. :tu:

4. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am looking for something between the stratus and the fanatic tough to decide what one for pants and jacket. November can be 20 degree flux so I will layer up but don't like to wear a lot of layers just the right ones.

5. fferazzi1

fferazzi1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Try the fanatic lite. I have used it down to 20 degrees layering under it. The regular fanatic is going to be too warm IMO unless it is 20 or below.

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have the fanatic jacket and the stratus pants. Love both pieces. For pure versatility, the stratus is a bit better as you can add/remove layers accordingly. The fanatic jacket is way too warm above say 50 degrees. I am planning on getting the fanatic lite jacket this summer to use in early season.

I will say this. The fanatic jacket is probably the best bow hunting specific jacket on the market. The pocket layout and fit are outstanding. I hate not being able to wear it at the beginning of the season because its too warm.

The stuff is definitely expensive, but from what I know in using it the last three years, its worth the investment. Plus, I have first hand experience with their CS and its second to none.

7. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I own, and use pretty much every piece of the whitetail line. I feel you would be smart to definitely buy a size up from normal. For me, the stratus is plenty warm with correct layering down into the twenties. My setup would be merino base layers, fanatic hoody, and stratus jacket/pants. If I need added warmth I can add on the Stratus vest. Below twenties I break out my fanatic bibs and jacket.

8. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just ordered and received stratus beanie gloves jacket and pants....celsius jacket....mid wght mock....fanatic hoody (best piece of hunting clothing I've ever seen)...hvy wght bottoms...and fanatic gloves...everything fits perfect in my normal xl size...even the celsius layered underneath the stratus is a nice comfortable fit...the only thing I sized down on is the gloves....I like them as tight to skin as possible while still being comfortable....this is quality stuff...I took a long time to pull the trigger...now that it's here I don't regret my decision at all....the fit feel and design is exceptional

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure of your size, I'm between the medium and large. My daily clothes are medium but some of Sitka's medium doesn't fit me. I think all of my thinner layers are medium, but my outerwear is in large. Medium feels too tight on the outer layers and Large is a little baggy.

After this last season's temps, I'm definitely looking into the stratus line. I tried the fanatic lite jacket, but I wasn't that big of a fan. The fanatic hoody and shacket will cover the range of the fanatic lite and feel more comfortable.

I HIGHLY recommend the Fanatic shacket, fanatic hoody, fanatic jacket, and fanatic bibs. Those pieces are the best of the best. IMO. The rest could be replaced with different brands if you're on a budget.

10. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They market there products as a "system", with the base layers being as important as the outerwear. This is true, the right combination is the key. I have the stratus gear and if you get your true size it will fit pretty tight, especially in the armpits for me. No room for sweatshirts/ sweaters underneath. Just room enough for a base layer. For treestand hunting the Merino base layer is a good choice, but get something lighter if you walk a lot or for early season. All their stuff is really good quality.

11. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Every time I see their prices I laugh and am happy for the people with that level of ability to support the economy. If I keep working hard I might make it up to the poverty line in a few years, and then I too can buy some high end gear. From what the people who buy it are saying, it is worth it.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have Stratus Bibs and the Jacket along with the ESW pants and Kelvin vest. I ordered up a size in my bibs and it was perfect for layering. The Stratus jacket was sold out in Lg and I was in a pinch, so I tried it in Medium. It's ok, but in colder temps, I like to add the Kelvin vest and it's a bit snug under the Stratus jacket. Everything else in the layering fit to size.

13. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    If you were going to decide between the fanatic hoodie or the Celsius jacket, what would you decide for early season? The reason I ask is that I have the fanatic bibs and jacket but need something for early season.

14. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say the celsius would be a more universal choice for a wider temp range but the fanatic hoodie would be fine in the 50s with a base layer or two depending on your personal body temp in my opinion...the hoodie is a phenomenal piece of clothing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

15. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on the temps, I would like to wear my UA 4.0 base layer under either a celcius jacket/fanatic hoodie. For the bottom I'm not sure if I want to invest in pants yet or wear my fanatic bibs. Hypothetically if I wear the bibs, I could probably get away with a light upper layer until mid October. I don't get cold really easy, so I'm sure how I want to do this yet.

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am 5'10" and normally wear an XL and I bought the Stratus vest and jacket last fall both in XL and they both fit me great. The vest with base layers even fits fine under the jacket. I love the windproof of the Stratus. I plan to add the Stratus pants and Fanatic for colder weather this year.

17. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    For early season it would def. be Fanatic hoody. The Celsius line is comparable to the stratus in warm: Stratus has windstopper w/ less loft, Celsius doesn't have windstopper but has more loft insulation.

18. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Also, for anyone looking at getting some Sitka at a good price, we have it on sale at 30 percent off everything we have in stock.

Shop All Sitka Gear Products | Dunn's Sporting Goods

Also, if you don't see your size listed but Sitka has it in stock, feel free to message me and I can order it for you for 25 percent off retail.

Free shipping on everything.

19. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Are you out of stock in the Celsius jacket?

20. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    yes we are. We have one celsius shacket in XL though. If sitka has it in stock I can order it for you.